Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewer Snacks & Treats
Here's a Thread to recommend various goodies and/or share recipes.

I think there used to be one like this, but I didn't feel like digging around.

What's your snack of choice? You can go healthy or unhealthy.

Anybody tried Utz crab chips? Someone talked 'em up, and I'm tempted to blind order some on Amazon. Sounds like they could be the best thing ever or pretty horrible!

I'm diabetic, so I try to avoid chips on the regular. However, I still break down and treat myself every now and then.

I'm also a pretzel guy. Before I gained weight, I was big on those soft pretzels you put in the oven. Especially when watching the game.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I'd kill a man for Cheez-Its, especially since they finally did the thing I'd been wanting them to do for ages and introduced the slightly-overdone ones that we used to just have to hope to find in a normal box back when I was a kid, before they tightened up the tolerances on their industrial ovens or whatever and that stopped happening. Those things were my golden ticket as a youngster, let me tell you. Only problem is, I have to stop myself from buying them more than a couple times a year because no matter how much I intend not to, I'll inevitably polish off 30-50% of the box over the course of an afternoon.

Also rediscovered bagels & schmear, which I never thought I liked because my only experience with them growing up was the store-brand kind you'd get at Coburns or Cub where it's just hard, dry spongebread with a concrete crust, topped with plain cream cheese. Things are considerably better now that I can buy some actually semi-decent ones and put cream cheese with stuff in on them.
Tortilla chips and hot salsa. I am a simple man with simple tastes.
There was this organic food grocery store in Athens I hit a lot called Earth Faire. It closed this year. They had some amazing bran muffin variation. It was called Morning Glory or something. It had raisins, carrots, and various fruit in it. Great with a cup of cofee. (Pastries in general were always my weakness.)

That was where I'd get fresh salsa. Now I go with Newman's. Unfortunately, I'm kind of like Karen's dad in GOODFELLAS this year ("The man hasn't been able to digest a decent meal in six weeks!"), so I had to shift to mild like a pussy.

I feel ya on the toasted cheez-its. They are like crack.

This one brand not around anymore -Cheese Nips- was actually my favorite growing up. They were kind of the Pepsi of cheese crackers to Cheeze Its Coke.

Overrated: Pettridge Farm cheese fish crackers. What a bland waste of carbs & calories!

The Beanitos brand bean (and rice) chips have supplanted all other chips for me. I could eat them as a meal every day, they are that dangerously good. Just the perfect amount of sea salt, crisp crunchy texture, and hearty substance from the beans. I can tell myself "It's real food, it has bean protein!". The white bean kind is best, followed by the original/navy bean, and the nacho cheese dusted variety.

For store bought cookies, the Newman's version of Oreos, 'Newman-O's', are quite life-threateningly addictive as well. Mint creme, ginger, chocolate, they are all beautiful. The last time I bought 2 boxes, I thought they would last me a week. Try 24 hours.
If they brought back the Keebler Tato Skins, I'd openly weep.
Oh man, speaking of junk food that had a criminally short lifespan, I miss Josta. That stuff was great.
Tumeric-flavoured hummus chips, from an Indian supermarket near where I live. Absolutely divine, always have to buy two bags at a time.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Turkey sandwich meat and mustard on Ritz crackers.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Trying to keep my weight under 82 kg for an upcoming tournament so I swapped out my homemade peanut butter + toast for home-made peanut butter + oven baked sweet potato slices, and I legit think it's an upgrade. Really nice sweet and salty combo. Also, if you're not making your own peanut butter, get on that shit. I'm 100% a "fuck it, let's order out" kind of guy, but it's literally food processor + toasted peanuts + salt and a little oil for me, and I think it's night and day better. Make a big container and you're good for a month. I've heard from a guy you might also mix in honey and chocolate, but my broccoli chicken ass wouldn't know about that...yet.

As for when I'm not on the grind, here in China they've got this ice cream snack that's basically a fish shaped ice-cream sandwich, with a layer on the outside like an ice cream cone. Best of both worlds!
Phil posted this on Twitter, which I thought was pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/philnobilejr/status/...25025?s=21
"Crazy Tomato" would definitely make a good band name.
Hey, Chicago Chewers - ever hear of Lou Malnati's?

I have been fiending for a Chicago style deep dish pizza forever. Really hard to get in the South.

So anyway, tomorrow's my birthday. Earlier this week i ordered 2 pizzas to be delivered thru Amazon. Arrived today. I'm going to cook 'em about midnight and have a slice of each. Kind of excited about it.

They advertised they were the oldest Chicago style pizza restaurant still around. They promise 'authentic' Chicago style.

Anyway. 66 bucks for 2 pies. I hope they knock my socks off!

Also, yes, I will be injecting extra insulin as an aftermath.

Add a beer and a bourbon to the mix. And happy almost birthday!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Tonite: I'm going to try my hand at sausage balls. My friend's mom used to make the best, and for years would send some to me during the holidays. (Is this more a Southern thang?)

I have a scrapbook of my grandmother's recipes and there's one for this in there. Here goes nothing...

Months ago, I stumbled across a delightful little snack in the grocery store that I bought, loved, and then could never find again because they stopped stocking it and I didn't remember the name and was too lazy to search for it. Finally rediscovered it - it's Pejoy, by the folks who make Pocky, and it's basically the same thing, but the other way around: milk chocolate inside of a long sweet-cracker "straw." Goddamn delicious.
I finally bought an iron skillet last year and it's been awesome to cook with. The only thing I haven't been able to get right is Waffle House style hash browns. So far I've burned them everytime..

As a fiend for Reese's Peanut Butter, I recently tried their new Big Cup with chopped up Pretzels inside with the peanut butter. It was too much. The Big Cup was already pretty good for me, but the pretzels were the one step too far.

I'm not huge on prepared snacks, really. I sure used to be. Candy, chips, Pop Tarts, all that. Lately I've been limiting myself to the occasional chocolate chip cookie from various coffee shops in my area, maybe a handful of Honey Nut Cheerios or store brand Granola Raisin Bran cereal when I'm at home. Chips, rarely, but I gravitate toward the Ruffles type.

Pocky, though, yeah definitely. There's a Japanese grocery near me that keeps me going with sweets, when I find I need them. As far as movie theater food (remember movie theaters?) for me it was always Reese's, Kit Kat, Junior Mints or maybe Nestle Crunch, though these days I always try not to load up on the stuff unless it's throwback rep viewing (mostly 1980s) or new-school sci-fi adventure where it's all about being a kid (new STAR WARS, MARVEL, what have you).
Jillian and I checked out the Mardi Gras event at Busch Gardens yesterday.  Food was okay, except for these goddamn things:

[Image: 07017_Zapps_5oz_VoodooKettleChips_Front_...1611698578]
We each got a bag; she didn't like hers and I had absolutely zero problem with that.
Just this guy, you know?
I'm intrigued enough I just ordered a variety pack on Amazon!

(08-13-2020, 07:51 PM)Jones Wrote: Tumeric-flavoured hummus chips, from an Indian supermarket near where I live.  Absolutely divine, always have to buy two bags at a time.

...and the company making it went out of business.  Nuts.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
(02-01-2021, 12:03 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Jillian and I checked out the Mardi Gras event at Busch Gardens yesterday.  Food was okay, except for these goddamn things:

[Image: 07017_Zapps_5oz_VoodooKettleChips_Front_...1611698578]
We each got a bag; she didn't like hers and I had absolutely zero problem with that.

I got a variety pack of these from Amazon. Didn't come with Voodoo flavor, but the Sea Salt & Vinegar was pretty good.

This morning blind bought this brand of pretzels called Dot's. 26 bucks for 20 lunchbox size bags, hope they don't suck.

Being that we're getting close to Easter, I'm bumping this thread to promote probably my favorite seasonal candy of all time: Cadbury Mini Eggs.
[Image: 00034000056316-0012.png?wid=570&hei=570&fmt=png-alpha]
Unreasonably addictive.

Cadbury's started bringing out Christmas versions in recent years, but I always hold off for Easter.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Easter means these.  Accept no substitutes.

[Image: reeses-peanut-butter-egg.jpg]
Just this guy, you know?
I prefer the white chocolate variations.
I'm with Dickson, those are fantastic.
If American chocolate wasn't so disgusting I'd definitely try that peanut butter egg.

The old Creme Eggs were unbeatable before the recipe change. Cadburys may be mass produced gunk but the old Dairy Milk shell with the fondant centre was a thing of beauty.
IIRC, Reese’s is one of the only American candy makers left that only uses real chocolate.
If anybody here is an Irish cream fan, I highly recommend Carolans as a budget-friendly option. I was gifted a bottle for Christmas, and I genuinely think it's better than Baileys. It's become a staple for me (read: I've been drinking far too much of it).
(03-13-2021, 09:46 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: IIRC, Reese’s is one of the only American candy makers left that only uses real chocolate.

If you like Reese's, you might be interested in the Clark Cup. When Necco shut down a few years ago, that spelled the end of the Clark crunchy peanut butter bar (one of my favorites).

Fortunately, the Boyer Candy company in Pittsburgh bought the Clark Bar rights from the defunct Necco. Boyer focuses on cup candy (peanut butter, marshmallow, etc.), so they converted the Clark Bar into a cup while they work on replacing the original bars. It's like aReese's, but the peanut butter has crunchy peanut butter bits in it.

It's good quality real chocolate, but I've had to order the cups directly from Boyer. I've only seen them at close out/discount retailers like Big Lots; maybe the cups are more common in stores in the U.S Midwest.
Dear God. To paraphrase a Patrice O'Neal bit, I'm praying directly to Jesus for the strength not to hunt this down:

https://twitter.com/brianchaley/status/1...9916380161

That shit is playing my song.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I’m not seeing any caramel. Where’s the caramel?
(03-13-2021, 04:53 AM)jhp1608 Wrote: If American chocolate wasn't so disgusting I'd definitely try that peanut butter egg.

The old Creme Eggs were unbeatable before the recipe change. Cadburys may be mass produced gunk but the old Dairy Milk shell with the fondant centre was a thing of beauty.

If you're judging all American chocolate by Hershey's, that has a distinct flavor that many people find disgusting. Reese's doesn't taste like that.
Look at this:

https://twitter.com/brianchaley/status/1...7033672706

And This:

https://twitter.com/brianchaley/status/1...3317371904