Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SOUND OF METAL
Darius Marder makes the best Derek Cianfrance movie yet!

Riz Ahmed is exceptional in this as a metal drummer who loses his hearing. I mean, truly, he is great. Someone please tell me he is not going to have his best years sucked up by the Disney franchise black hole. Like, he's not in ANDOR, right? Please?

Paul Raci, also phenomenal. His last scene with Riz' character, damn. That one's gonna stay with me, for sure.

Sound design is utterly brilliant. Immersive, communicative of the experience, artful. Give this movie every sound award.
the empire never ended
I found the transition from donut pounding frustration to signing playfully with the kids to be way too abrupt. Otherwise I dug it.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
That is a good point. It works better in retrospect when you realize he isn't really reconciled to his situation, but in the moment the transition does come off a bit jarring.
the empire never ended
So very good. It loses steam in the last act and I agree that the transition to acceptance is slightly jarring but emotionally this film's a powerhouse. And Ahmed's phenomenal, best performance of the year imo.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(12-18-2020, 09:28 AM)wasp Wrote: Someone please tell me he is not going to have his best years sucked up by the Disney franchise black hole. Like, he's not in ANDOR, right? Please?

Their characters don't meet until Rogue One, so I don't see why he would show up in that. Unless we get an un-advertized subplot of his character losing faith with the Empire and then meeting the Hannibal dude. But if they were to do that, they may as well bring the entire cast back to see what they were all doing before teaming up, But the show is called Andor, not Rogue One Origins.
Git' in under mah belly!
Riz is good, but I think his performance in this is a bit overrated. Boseman easily outperforms him in Ma Rainey's. The sound design is pretty immersive though. Terrifying.

What I didn't like at all is Blackgammon's music. It sounded more like what someone who doesn't listen to rock at all perceives and imagines crass metal to be like. It's just noise. Would have been way more interesting if we had seen someone way more talented lose it. Also, did he also have to be a former heroin addict?

And the ending pretty much leaves you with a shrug.
But why?
The trailer looks interesting, but the trailer also looks like I've seen the whole movie too.
(12-22-2020, 10:26 PM)simbob Wrote: The trailer looks interesting, but the trailer also looks like I've seen the whole movie too.

I will say this, for anyone who watches movies for plot, you might as well not bother with this one, anyways.

The thing the trailer can't give away is the sum experience of watching this movie.

(12-22-2020, 05:18 PM)flynn keaton Wrote: What I didn't like at all is Blackgammon's music. It sounded more like what someone who doesn't listen to rock at all perceives and imagines crass metal to be like. It's just noise. 

Well, I mean, noise metal is absolutely a thing--some of which I enjoy--and Blackgammon's music resembles it well enough, so no problem for me there.

I wasn't necessarily impressed with the guitar and vocal contributions from Olivia Cooke's character but I did like Ahmed's drumming. I didn't think he was non-talented.

(12-22-2020, 05:18 PM)flynn keaton Wrote: And the ending pretty much leaves you with a shrug.

I mean, it's a small, quiet ending... but I thought it was beautiful. I am not sure how it could have ended much better than that after the set up from the conversation with Raci's character.

I am a sucker for that type of stuff, though--the moment in the movie that leans fully into something visually meditative. Probably, too, why the ending of WKW's In the Mood for Love is probably my favorite movie ending ever.
the empire never ended
The ending was perfect for Ruben's arc.
Really wish I'd been able to see this in the theater for the sound mixing alone. Terrific film.
I agree that the ending was a solid choice. It's not clear to me what path Ahmed's character has decided on taking, or even if he's decided what he's going to do at all, but it's clear he's done with his old life. It's got to be terrifying, but freeing as well. Cutting to credits in silence was a masterstroke.

To me though, the key scene is the one after the party, in bed. I've been in that situation before, and I didn't see it coming either. I probably should have. I like that he had the grace to realize pretty quick that it was over. The foreshadowing was the thanks from her father that Ahmed's character had given Lou a place to go. He couldn't offer her that anymore. At this stage in their lives, she was better off without him. Just because it sucks doesn't make it any less true.
I thought this was pretty great, and I chuckled at flynn's critique above, which contends the movie would have been better without Riz Ahmed, the noise metal music and the heroin addiction. Those seem like pretty key elements of the movie to me!

Loved the ending, although I do think the film fades slightly once he goes to Paris. The Raci/rehab sequences are so good that anything after would pale a little by comparison.
I think it's a testament to how good Ahmed is in this that I was genuinely disappointed in some of his choices, like he was personally letting me down.
Just this guy, you know?
I know! I wonder if he got his RV back?
Finally got around to seeing this and I'm glad I did. The sound design on this was incredible. You are really given that first hand experience of what he's going through and it is handled exceptionally well. The ending was perfect.

Always been a fan of Riz and I'm glad he got to showcase his talent here. The best characther for me was the guy who was the leader of the deaf community, I believed every word he said. He felt so real. For a moment I was hoping Riz would forget his past life and hook up with the cute school teacher. Riz girlfriend actress didnt have much to do other than make sad faces for majority of the movie.

But yeah this ending was about as good as any movie I've seen from for a while. Makes you really contemplate what you would do in that scenario. Perfect!