Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finch Club: Talkin' Fincher
When does Joon go from Special Guest Star to being a series regular? Is he negotiating too fiercely?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
only when there are movies they’re not excited to talk about!

But I won’t do MANK! (I haven’t seen it yet)
That wouldn't stop commo! COWARD!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I think I offer him full bird FRAME WORK status, with all the attendant rights and privileges*, about 30 seconds into this episode. Which is about BENJAMIN BUTTON, a movie that actually exists and is almost 3 hours long and was nominated for fucking Oscars, if you can believe it.

*TWIST: there are none
The Social Network
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
this is a really fun discussion
Another great conversation.

I think I’ve slightly cooled on THE SOCIAL NETWORK since it first came out (I’d put ZODIAC, GONE GIRL, SEVEN, and THE GAME ahead of it in my own Fincher ranking at this point), but the sheer enjoyment that can be found in Fincher’s filmmaking and Sorkin’s writing (even though I think Sorkin actually tops himself with STEVE JOBS) makes it an incredibly rewatchable movie.

But I think part of why I've cooled is related to something you guys touch on, which is that I'm not fully sure exactly what the film thinks about Zuckerberg or wants us to think about Zuckerberg.  Having a central character whose true nature is somewhat inscrutable to me -- at the heart of subject matter I otherwise don't really care a ton about -- keeps the endeavor at a bit more of a distance.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I think I can roll with the ambivalent attitude toward Zuckerberg more easily, but it's the nagging feeling that this movie about Facebook should have more to say about the nature of the internet and social media that cools me off a bit.

Like, I mentioned in passing that I thought of LORDS OF DOGTOWN as a more apt comparison than CITIZEN KANE. I never got around to actually explaining that, but the idea was that for all this movie cares about the internet, it could have just as easily been any other subculture where these guys hit it big and have the weight of success destroy their friendship. But social media has reshaped mainstream society in a way that skateboarding never did, so as we get further down that rabbit hole, the movie's obliviousness to those implications looms larger and larger. To me, at least.
Well, and I believe you guys said this too, if THE SOCIAL NETWORK gets made in 2021, I think the movie absolutely deals with those implications.

But making the movie in 2009 - 2010, I can buy them not fully realizing Facebook's import and instead choosing to focus on the interpersonal and business drama between the central players.
There is a limit to the film’s prescience, to be sure. I think that’s kind of interesting, usually, and the stuff a movie like this doesn’t quite foresee can be just as interesting as what it does. Like Fight Club seeing white male resentments coming to a boil, but imagining they’d spill over as left leaning political violence rather than right leaning internet trolling.

Screwing over your friends for clout seems to a far more evergreen topic.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-19-2021, 07:09 PM)schwartz Wrote: it's the nagging feeling that this movie about Facebook should have more to say about the nature of the internet and social media that cools me off a bit.

but wasn't this also the same reason that Sorkin was unable to pile on his usual indulgences here (leading it to being a better film)?  Because Sorkin wasn't familiar enough with the technology and it was kind of 'too soon' to make a Facebook movie at that point to truly know the ramifications of what its creation meant?

I imagine it's tricky to have a lot more to say about the nature of the internet and social media when we had no specific 'conclusion' to the story of Facebook yet.
I can imagine a movie that engaged more with the day to day usage of social media, and the way it has become an enormous facet of modern life. Social Network doesn't really do that, in the way that a lot of more recent films do, things like Searching or Ingrid Goes West, or even the glut of Zoom Horror movies. But it wouldn't really ring true in 2010, before we all had Facebook and Twitter on our phones. It would be like a 90s Action movie where everyone talks on the cellphones.

We got into this in the episode, but my feeling was the way Social Network does that is it portrays the way puerile anger and resentment were a huge part of the foundation for Facebook, essential building blocks. What's prophetic about the film is that it understands what social media's appeal is based in. Everyone's pissed off, everyone feels excluded, and social media offers some measure of inclusion and control.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-20-2021, 02:47 AM)Nooj Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 07:09 PM)schwartz Wrote: it's the nagging feeling that this movie about Facebook should have more to say about the nature of the internet and social media that cools me off a bit.

but wasn't this also the same reason that Sorkin was unable to pile on his usual indulgences here (leading it to being a better film)?  Because Sorkin wasn't familiar enough with the technology and it was kind of 'too soon' to make a Facebook movie at that point to truly know the ramifications of what its creation meant?

I imagine it's tricky to have a lot more to say about the nature of the internet and social media when we had no specific 'conclusion' to the story of Facebook yet.

Well, yes it is those things.  I just have to hold it all in my head that it is simultaneously true that were good reasons for the movie not to address this at the time, probably would have been worse overall if it had attempted to, and yet the gap in creates is still noticeable and has become moreso over time.
ah, that’s too many things to think about for me
I come at it from the opposite direction to Schwartz - re-watching yesterday I find my estimation of the film has increased over the last decade - but we land in the exact same place today. The movie comes out of the wash feeling less than the sum of its parts, but each of those parts (except for the Rashida Jones character) is pretty dang nifty and the whole is stupidly watchable.

I really dug Arjen's take on JT too, although I don't see that dude as a guy with leading man looks per se. He's plenty talented but his face is too Ryan Phillipe pretty/baby-faced to be the kind of visual hook the best headliners run with, and, more importantly (since about 70% of screen charisma is in the voice), while he sings like an angel his speaking voice has never had movie star presence.

The Parks & Rec jag in this ep also showed that if you guys don't end up dedicating an episode (maybe even another EPIC three-parter) to the great sitcoms of our age you will be cheating your listeners out of a real fun time.
This week, Elisabeth Rappe joins us for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Nice!
the whole outro being a tangent on everyone dreading having to watch MANK! while Orinoco Flow looped in the background?

perfection
I’m glad that played, because the obvious thing to do would have been to cut that down!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
NO!!!
As a defender of this version of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, I appreciated this episode. Extremely entertaining, fun discussion. Also nice to hear from Rappe; I’ve enjoyed her work in the past.