Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lord of the Rings - 1960s Casting Draft - Sign Up and Discussion
I have a theme, but no idea if it will survive the first round. I can almost guarantee who's going number 1 overall though.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
There are two essential first picks and if they don’t go we’re doing this wrong.
(02-16-2021, 03:49 PM)atomtastic Wrote: There are two essential first picks and if they don’t go we’re doing this wrong.

Picks for Gandalf and Frodo, I assume?
[Image: EAXz3RVkg1KEWgYXrnq2c6YNo3uw8Cd2CTM_0gtr...AcGCdvAD88]
I was hoping Frodo would slide under the radar slightly. But I should have known with you guys it'd be obvious.
My lynchpins are Gandalf and Strider. I get them, I'm set. I have backups for my first choices but it's dicey. If I don't get them, then my theme will need to be altered.
My draft times are the same all 5 days. I won't lie, that appeals and makes things easier for me in terms of planning.
I have no idea how any of this will play out. I expect to be riffing it by the end of Monday.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
That first day is going to be an absolute bloodbath.
Am I the only one to have pretty severe anxiety over this (in a good way)? I haven't even had time to rewatch the movies or think about a conceit...
home taping is killing music
I'm winging it, as usual.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I've got three different concepts brewing in case one gets decimated before my first pick.
Just this guy, you know?
I have a very rough idea of what I’m gonna do.
I think it's going to go very badly for me, if that counts.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I already made the Dennis Miller joker to Boone, but this is going to make The Battle of the Pelennor Fields look like The Sack of Bar-en-Danwedh, babe.
I'm toying with a Western version (Titled "Lord of the Reins", natch), but I'll probably just do straight up, like I usually do.
I've got my theme dialed in with preferred choices and, for most parts, up to five or six alternates. I'm sure that at least one other drafter will have a similar theme so we'll see how it plays out.
An excellent way to start off.

There are days I prefer Huston’s voice as Gandalf to McKellans.
Huston is a great Gandalf for sure. God, that voice.

I figured O'Toole for a day round pick but I never figured him for Boromir. I'd be interested to see what the rest of your cast looks like if you'd relegate O'Toole to the role of Boromir.
(02-22-2021, 11:03 AM)atomtastic Wrote: An excellent way to start off.

Definitely. It's a tribute to how good he was in the role that he was able to make the part his own so quickly despite Huston's take being absolutely iconic for a huge swath of the audience.
Huston is a great starter.

Not surprised to see O'Toole go immediately, very surprised to see him go as Boromir.
Yeah I took the easy way out. But I've no doubt Lee would have killed as Gandalf in his prime.

Huston is a great pick too.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
(02-22-2021, 11:03 AM)atomtastic Wrote: An excellent way to start off.

He's dead perfect for the Rankin-Bass conception of the character.
Just this guy, you know?
Feldman was like top of my list for Gollum.
And, we're done. May as well call the draft now. Nobody is gonna top Feldman for Gollum.
Goddamn it Richard.
It's a great pick. Gollum is fun because there are a surprising number of options and ways to go with him, given they would have had to be creative in the 60's.
Gollum was the character who by list filled up the fastest for, lots of fun ways to go, but Feldman may be the best.

Lee I could never see as Gandalf despite him wanting the role so badly. There’s an inherent air of importance and slight pompousness to him that made him the perfect Saruman. He needed to be in there somewhere though. I was thinking maybe Elrond or The Witch King in the bonus round.
I think The Devil Rides Out Lee would certainly be the way Lee would play it. There's little doubt that he would be committed.
Guinness was the Gandalf who I thought would go first.
(02-22-2021, 11:37 AM)atomtastic Wrote: Lee I could never see as Gandalf despite him wanting the role so badly. There’s an inherent air of importance and slight pompousness to him that made him the perfect Saruman. He needed to be in there somewhere though. I was thinking maybe Elrond or The Witch King in the bonus round.

I get this thinking, but there was zero chance he'd make it through today undrafted, let alone to the Bonus rounds.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Lee in the bonus round was some Howie Ratner type betting for sure.
O'Toole and Burton were among the Day One locks on my mind.
Just this guy, you know?
Both where Aragons for me.
Yeah, Burton was someone I could see playing several roles, but he’s certainly got the voice for Gandalf.