Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lord of the Rings - 1960s Casting Draft - Sign Up and Discussion
Richard and Simbob are tied at the moment.
Congrats to Richard for winning!!!
Bravely bold Sir Frodo, rode forth from the Shire
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Frodo!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Frodo!
He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;
To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Frodo!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen--

Congrats, Richard!
I thought for sure the straight drafts would get me eventually, but it kept not happening. Thanks to everyone who voted for my little (not) flying (the Ring to Mordor) circus.

This may have been top to bottom one of the most creative drafts we've had. Not a whiff in the bunch. Well done everyone.
Just this guy, you know?
Congrats, Richard! I always favor the straightforward drafts, but your version was admittedly pretty perfect.
Yeah, good win. I liked the Python '48 Show idea quite a lot. And that you were actually able to get them all together is kind of a surprise.
Congratulations to Richard. There's no doubt that you pulled off a hell of a draft.

My autopsy basically came down to two factors, I feel, Bailey grabbing McKern and McGoohan and the limitations of Hammer Studios. The lack of memorable younger leading men types, other than Oliver Reed, I think made me look elsewhere for elves and the like and I don't think it helped me. I still think kid actors is the only way to do Hobbits in the 60s, but I don't think that helped me much.

I still think I had one of the more plausible takes for the era, and that got me to the finals, so I'm well satisfied.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
You could do hobbits exactly like they did in the Lord of the Rings movies in the '60s. It's just forced perspective and other tricks people were doing long before the '60s. Darby O'Gill and the Little People would've just came out in '59.
Harryhausen was at the top of his game then too. Now I'm kicking myself for not drafting a Beverly Cross-scripted production shot out of Spain.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Congrats to Richard!

Everyone was on their game here, and I'm still quite happy with how my cast turned out.