Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARMY OF THE DEAD
Honest Trailers made a joke that he always looks like he's holding back a sneeze and now that's all I can see.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Don't wade in until you finish it, Ovie!

I finally watched it the other day on a relative's 4K setup. It was alright, pretty mild and lighthearted by Zack Snyder standards.

The filmmaking craft is vastly better than a Paul WS Anderson zombie, but it somehow ends up being less memorable. There are numerous clever compositions and pretty shots, but no sustained action scenes or scare gags that move the needle.

To take a B-movie like this to the next level, like a cult movie that people will remember past 6 months from now, you need coherent setups and payoffs for the characters. Almost nobody gets that here. Some of the people just...die. One guy doesn't like the tiger, then the tiger gets him. I suspect Zack might think that counts as "dramatic irony".

Alpha Vamp/Dracula 1000/Azog the Defiler was not good. His thing is stalking hallways. Wherever you turn, he's gonna be stalking down that hallway. Then he dons a superhero costume that resembles something a 10 year old would put together after rummaging in the garage. It didn't seem like he had any kind of plan or set routine. He just stalks between the two major buildings in the movie all day.

I like Bautista. Sad He wouldn't even make the list of the top 20 things wrong with this movie.

Despite these massive drawbacks, the movie ambled along pleasantly for most of it's relaxed runtime. Some of the actors manage to get a little chemistry going amongst themselves, which must have taken a massive amount of effort with this script.

The franchise building stuff at the end, woof! I like you, Zack, but there's no franchise potential here.
More like ARMY OF THE MEH'D am I right?
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
With a lot of the reaction this movie has gotten it should've been called SMARMY of the DEAD.
Git' in under mah belly!
Thankfully it sounds like this is a one and done. No more Snyderverses. So sad.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
One and done waaaaat!? There's an anime mini-series and prequel about the safecracker being made, no?
Git' in under mah belly!
Pointless if true.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
The safecracker prequel has already been shot i think.
there’s a safecracker prequel??? hahahah
There ought to be a prequel for the obviously-gonna-screw-everybody-over guy, so we can see how he got the way he is. Villain origins are all the rage!
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Fett's post made me think the already greenlight and in production Army of the Dead-verse projects had suddenly been up and cancelled.
Git' in under mah belly!
The homages to Aliens never.  Fucking.  Stop.

You’re STILL watching this? It’s been DAYS!
it's a pretty long movie
(06-19-2021, 12:57 AM)freeman Wrote: You’re STILL watching this? It’s been DAYS!

Finally finished.

Won't be revisiting.

Any further thoughts?
i love the parts about aliens homages

keep talking about thaaaaat
(06-19-2021, 02:11 AM)freeman Wrote: Any further thoughts?

--Snyder seems to have totally lost it in regards to maintaining the pace of action sequences.  Like, what the hell?  The entire last 20-30 minutes we continuously stop any kind of kinetic energy to linger, inexplicably, on someone having been bitten, a slo-mo screaming sequence, or, perhaps most frustratingly, the fucking zombie king with his terrible-looking metal gimp mask pacing back and forth or snarling indiscriminately.

--Why'd that gal holding zombie queen's head sacrifice herself?  Was there any build-up for that whatsoever?

--Dillahunt's death was really anticlimactic due to, once again, there being almost no palpable energy to the scene.  Zombie tiger growls, it picks him up, it throws him around, we come to a full and complete stop yet again, rinse repeat.  And then the tiger never shows up again!!!  At least, I don't think so, I did kind of nooj off.  I mean, you have to give me Bautista versus the tiger after teasing that critter all movie!!!  What the fuck, man!

--I like the set-up for sequels that will never come.

--The standout actress for me in this was Bautista-daughter.  She had kind of a Winstead earnest-but-also-tired-of-your-shit vibe going on and I thought she, Dillahunt, and the Silver Samurai's kid were the best actors/actresses in this by a mile.

--For those who didn't know before watching the film that the helicopter dude/dudette was digitally inserted, did the constant changes in the film's look/grain during the finale seem as distracting to you as it did to me?  I feel like there was a digital noise/blurriness filter that would pop up whenever she was in a scene that made a complete fucking mess of the HELICOPTER-CENTRIC ending .. you constantly have a weird muddied digital portion and then you cut back to a crisp, normal-looking portion.

--I really wanted Bautista to yell "BISHOP, GODDAMN YOU!!!" when he walked out on the roof and the chopper was gone.  

--I mean, why not just throw zombie queen head to the other side of the roof and get on the damned chopper?  Zombie king ain't gonna let his baby's head slide down to the street!

--The safecracking scene wasn't what I want out of safecracking scenes.  I want to see some sort of listening device, or maybe some cool fiberoptics, or something.  I mean, Rififi is like a hundred years old and managed to do a cool safe-opening sequence. What was the budget of this?  They couldn't afford some sort of plasma drill special effect?  Spent it all on zombie tigers?

--The "bone breaking then the jagged end punching through skin" is something that, call me squeamish, I don't mind not having in films.

--There's a scene early on when Bautista is on the cliched "recruitment" trip.  Now, there's a rhythm and pace to that very hackneyed concept (by the way, I LOVE "recruitment" trip scenes in action films ... LOVE 'EM) that a writer/director defies at their peril.  First, not every candidate for recruitment can have the same attitude about being approached.  One has to be cocky, one has to be scared, one has to want to do it for the money, another maybe wants to do it for revenge, etc.  Also, they can't all just say "yes!"  There has to be a holdout or two, and one of the holdouts DEFINITELY has to be declared as "counted out" and then they show up at the rendezvous point anyway.  There is a science to it, a formula that should be adhered to.  And Snyder fucks it up!  The recruits all act the same way, pretty much, when Drax approaches them.  Bah. 

--Like, they weren't that far from Vegas when the nuclear bomb exploded, yo.  Hope Bautista-daughter didn't plan on having kids!

(06-19-2021, 02:28 AM)Overlord Wrote:  There is a science to it, a formula that should be adhered to.  And Snyder fucks it up!  

Basically, my reaction to this entire movie:

https://youtu.be/k7HMQuoISNg
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
So it sounds like if I’ve seen ALIENS I don’t have to watch this.
Yes, and not least of which because ALIENS is actually good.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Yikes!
(06-19-2021, 02:28 AM)Overlord Wrote:

--Snyder seems to have totally lost it in regards to maintaining the pace of action sequences.  Like, what the hell?  The entire last 20-30 minutes we continuously stop any kind of kinetic energy to linger, inexplicably, on someone having been bitten, a slo-mo screaming sequence, or, perhaps most frustratingly, the fucking zombie king with his terrible-looking metal gimp mask pacing back and forth or snarling indiscriminately.

I didn't get this far. Is this meant to be as much of a riff on Road Warrior as you make it sound?
It didn't remind me of Road Warrior. Road Warrior's characters looked interesting. This guy looks derpy. With a crude metal mask to protect his brains and I'm not kidding here, a LITERAL cape.
IT'S MAD MAX 2

MAD MAX 2

ENOUGH WITH THIS ROAD WARRIOR SHIT YOU FUCKS!

I expected better from this forum I really did

except maybe freeman
Shan used to be so nice. My, Shan was lovey dovey.

Now Shan talks like me you fucks!
(06-19-2021, 11:38 PM)freeman Wrote: Shan used to be so nice.  My, Shan was lovey dovey.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11488909]

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(06-19-2021, 11:38 PM)freeman Wrote: Shan used to be so nice.  My, Shan was lovey dovey.

Someone's a bit late to the fucking party!

[Image: ETSCNzHUEAIs9_7.jpg]

Lucky it's a zombie film, isn't it?
Prequel baby!

The reveal has to be he didn't die, right?

Like I'm full on expecting after credits sequence where he somehow survived the first movie.

Which I'm fine with cause I liked his character.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
That looks fun but all that means is someone knows how to cut a trailer.

(06-19-2021, 02:02 PM)jhp1608 Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 02:28 AM)Overlord Wrote:

I didn't get this far. Is this meant to be as much of a riff on Road Warrior as you make it sound?

If I were to guess, and that's even if it's a reference, (the metal mask stops his brains from being blown out) it's probably a reference to like Phantom of the Paradise or Griffith from Berserk...who is a reference to Phantom of the Paradise. Either way, it's not all that Max Mad looking; in general King Zombie is more Conan the Barbarian feeling when he shows back up with his mask and cape.

(07-25-2021, 06:15 PM)ska oreo Wrote: The reveal has to be he didn't die, right?  

Like I'm full on expecting after credits sequence where he somehow survived the first movie.  

Which I'm fine with cause I liked his character.

I think they'll keep him dead, it is a prequel. The guy playing the character is also the director, so maybe Snyder just really liked him in something else and they developed a movie for him and tied it into this to get it made. Wouldn't be too surprised if someone in this showed up in the other Army of the Dead stuff they're doing.
We didn't see him die, in a movie ostensibly designed to show off scenes of characters dying, so...who cares, I guess.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The king zombie does grab him. He'd have to have survived that for some reason, and then also gotten out of Vegas on foot before the city was nuked. I think they just didn't show him die because of the moment.

I mean, I guess this prequel could give some reason why that King Zombie guy wouldn't rip him apart after pulling him off that door as he was shutting it.
In the same fashion as Black Widow I'm also annoyed they're releasing this after Army of the Dead. Gee I wonder if he'll survive?
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.