Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUPERMAN PRE-RELEASE (202X)
JJ is playing Superman
DOUGRAY AS LEX LUTHOR
(02-26-2021, 08:48 PM)simbob Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 08:14 PM)chet ripley Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 06:08 PM)simbob Wrote: Headless Fett strongly counters being called a troll by trolling harder. That's certainly a way to go about that.

He’s not trolling.  You’ve made more than one racist post in here.

It’s not surprising you’re whining about one of the most respected black authors currently working.

No, he's trolling, and I haven't ever said anything racist.

Now he's one of the most respected black authors currently working? I just thought he was a hack that's been writing bad comic books for the last few years. You can spin not being excited about some bad comic book writer writing a comic book movie as being racist if you want, but it's not. If it makes you feel better I've also not been excited about movies made by white people based on their previous work too.

Bullshit.  You have said racist shit on this Board, and been called out directly for it in the past.

And yes, Coates is a highly respected author and journalist, and the winner of multiple awards, which is why it was a big deal when he started writing Black Panther.  You somehow conveniently overlooked that though.  Just like you overlooked the fact that he won an Eisner for his work on Black Panther.

I can’t say I’m surprised by your comments though, when you’ve previously  repeatedly victim-blamed an unarmed black man that was shot dead by a notorious racist.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
(02-26-2021, 10:30 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: DOUGRAY AS LEX LUTHOR

We're all gagging for it.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Still wondering why anyone responds to SimBobKate.

Put them on ignore. Life is so much better.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(02-26-2021, 10:35 PM)slim Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 10:30 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: DOUGRAY AS LEX LUTHOR

We're all gagging for it.

LIKE MONKEYS
Re: Mission:Impossible 1

Y'all have fun with it then lol. I got better De Palma movies to watch if I'm in that mood and better spy movies to watch if in another mood.

I really wish I knew what people get out of it aside from some, admittedly nice directorial flourishes. The villains could not be more obvious. Did a single twist in that movie surprise anyone? The stealing the NOC list scene IS great. And the bullet train scene is cool. But between those things it just feels like waiting for the bad guys to acknowledge that they're the bad guys. At 15 years old, first time watching it, I shouldn't have been able to go "him, him and her are the villains" almost as soon as they're introduced.

The sequel is the exact opposite. Still beautifully filmed but empty empty empty. An hour and a half of waiting to see Tom Cruise do stuff that seems like a PG-13 Woo ripoff...except that it's actually a real Woo movie. The wait to the action is interminable and nothing in the preceding 90 minutes justifies the wait. Nothing interesting AT ALL happens.

Whenever I talk highly of the third one...I never meant that it's my favorite one. Just that it finally found a groove that the sequels settled nicely into. Stuff actually happens before the last 30 minutes. I think each one has gotten better since 3. It's the least of the ones I like. Just my opinion. But...I tried to justify my opinion with stuff other than "this sucks" "that doesn't."

GHET.
ON.
THA.
GROURHND.
Dougray's too busy :checksnotes: playing the first Batwoman's dad on the CW. The first one, mind you. Not the current one.
GIT
DOUN
AWN
YER
KNIISSS
(02-26-2021, 10:08 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: How much actual input he had on the films, I wasn't totally sure but I absolutely love the Mission Impossible movies from 3 onward. Whether that's attributable to him...I won't pretend to know. But I approve very much of the direction those films are going in and have been going in for 15+ years.

I like Star Trek '09....imperfect as it may be. But if I waited around for perfect movies to be happy, I'd be a pretty miserable person. Star Trek Into Darkness is to Star Trek what Rise of Skywalker is to Star Wars. Jesus CHRIST some of that movie is terrible and makes me want to throttle him. But it's also got some scenes that are so good (to me) that I can't just write the film off as much as "cold fusion bomb" makes me want to. Khan and Kirk flying from one damaged ship to another is the type of thing that makes me throw good sense to the winds and just enjoy it. Beyond is a good movie...we need more like that. But we REALLY need more that are Master and Commander in space.

Super 8 is an entertaining movie that, again, is imperfect as hell but does enough good to justify its existence.

Cloverfield is the only found footage movie I've ever loved.

Star Wars....hoo boy, Star Wars. So many bad decisions that I lost count and what makes me more salty is somehow JJ weaseled out of the blame he rightly deserves and (happily) passed it on to Rian Johnson who he put in that position in the first place. Somehow Rian gets blsmed for ruining the trilogy when the other guy did two films to his one, is a producer and his film is stuck in the middle with no control over how it began or ended. I wish Rian had done Episode IX. And through all that, I still like all three because there's more going on than just JJ bullshit and I end up liking them, as I said, just through the sheer wonderfulness that is Star Wars despite JJs best attempts to crush the life out of it all. It's fucking jarring to watch Rogue One...a film he had nothing to do with and you can just feel the difference. It feels so much more authentically Star Wars and handily trounces the entire sequel trilogy in my opinion.

So....his being involved with Superman just makes me roll my eyes..

JJ didn't exactly not get shit after TFA, and JJ didn't force Johnson to make some awful ESB remake as a follow-up. I mean, maybe they were both forced to do remakes, but neither was likely forced to make bad ones like they did.

I wonder if JJ is involved because someone at WB dusted off his Flyby script and they're using it as a foundation? Then again it could just be that JJ still wants to do a Superman movie and Bad Robot just made a deal with WB a couple years ago. I think they've got a Your Name movie in the works with Warner too. I'd probably expect a few DC movies from Bad Robot while they're at WB.
I always refer to the third film as MARRIAGE: IMPOSSIBLE

Quite suiting for Cruise.
There was a Black Panther/Robocop cross-over?

Whoa.

(02-26-2021, 10:26 PM)Nooj Wrote: given the criticism of the first movie audiences had (too confusing!), does the immense success of MI2 owe it to the perceived sins of the first?**

Or was it just the super aggressive marketing with the slick visuals?

The thing about MI3 was that those who saw it generally really liked it and found it to be what MI movies should be (at least that’s what I perceived from discussions at the time). But somehow, word of mouth didn’t give that one a boost.  It’s a movie that’s highly dependent upon people wanting to see the movie star on the poster, and at that point in time, I got the impression that people had their fill of Cruise.

However, don’t think the effect of MI2 is totally negligible. After the first two movies, audiences seemed to get the sense that Cruise was using the brand as a vanity project for himself.  Combine that with the publicity overload, I can see people deciding to dismiss MI3 sight unseen

As for Abrams’ influence on MI movies as a producer, I believe he plays more of a role than he does in something like Last Jedi.  I think he played a key role in getting Brad Bird onto Ghost Protocol along with Cruise.

**i love depalma’s movie

This is all on point. Except...I didn't find it confusing so much as uninteresting. None of it was confusing, it just felt like it was overly complicated in service of nothing.

And when the villains are all that obvious...I was just waiting for the penny to drop. I'm honestly curious if anyone here was ACTUALLY shocked at who the bad guys were. Maybe it would've carried more weight if it'd actually been Peter Graves. The second one would've worked if it'd totally committed to being a John Woo movie with action throughout....but the big bullet ballet finale was treated like the bullet train scene from the first. We waited this whole time for THAT?

4, 5 and 6 all feel so much more complete and exciting. That's why I appreciate 3...it put them all in a good groove. But that's just me. 

If it weren't for De Palma's beautiful direction I'd have no use for the first one and it's pseudo-complexity whatsoever.

We'd better get back to Nuperman pretty quick. Brad hates this. And I'm not being snarky.

In the interest of practicing what I preach....since not one thing about this new Superman situation appeals to me in the slightest...I'll exit thread, stage right. Since we're always like "if you don't care about the movie, why are you posting in the thread" I shouldn't even be here..

(02-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Overlord Wrote: There was a Black Panther/Robocop cross-over?

Whoa.

Kind of, but with robot versions of Americop
No accounting for taste and all that-- but the first M:I manages to be a franchise starter and a star vanity project, while fitting perfectly into DePalma's career as a Hitchcock manque. You just don't run across a picture like that every day.

M:I 3 is really more like I would expect out of a nostalgia cash-in TV adaptation, which Abrams is likewise perfectly suited for.

Anyway, my point upthread was actually to defend him as a producer. He certainly had an impact on the direction of the M:I series, and deserves some credit. If he can bring that kind of value to a Superman project, I'm all for it.
I like all the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLEs!

Just wanted everyone to know that.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(02-26-2021, 11:12 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I like all the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLEs!

That's MISSIONs : IMPOSSIBLE. Like Attorneys General. Jesus, Belloq.
(02-26-2021, 11:16 PM)slim Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 11:12 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I like all the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLEs!

That's MISSIONs : IMPOSSIBLE. Like Attorneys General. Jesus, Belloq.

If I see "passerbys" instead of "passersby" one more fucking time ....

(02-26-2021, 11:16 PM)slim Wrote: That's MISSIONs : IMPOSSIBLE. Like Attorneys General. Jesus, Belloq.

Orange Juliuses or Oranges Julius? I've always wondered.
(02-26-2021, 11:25 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 11:16 PM)slim Wrote: That's MISSIONs : IMPOSSIBLE. Like Attorneys General. Jesus, Belloq.

Orange Juliuses or Oranges Julius?  I've always wondered.

Neither.

It's "Orange Julii."

That's not nearly as much fun to say, though!
(02-26-2021, 11:25 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:

Orange Juliuses or Oranges Julius?  I've always wondered.

My ruling would be Oranges Julius. But I'd prefer to order an Orange Whip instead.

[attachment=7571]
I honestly can't picture Jordan having the kind of aw-shucks sincerity required for the character, but I guess we're not sticking to the characterizations anymore and these guys can be dour murderers...

Maybe it's a Chris Evans thing where he hasn't had to play that yet so I can't imagine it.
Nobody stays good in this world.
Perhaps he has deep reserves of earnestness and affability that have yet to be tapped, but short of that, I can't see Jordan as Clark Kent at all.

Unless, as Freeman says, it's a radical reinvention.  To which I would say: not interested.  We just did the mild deconstruction thing with Snyder's take.
(02-27-2021, 12:24 AM)freeman Wrote: I honestly can't picture Jordan having the kind of aw-shucks sincerity required for the character, but I guess we're not sticking to the characterizations anymore and these guys can be dour murderers...

Maybe it's a Chris Evans thing where he hasn't had to play that yet so I can't imagine it.

Your assuming it’s going to be small town raised, middle America Clark Kent.

I bet they go with him being Superman but a different person. This could even be a stand alone deal like Pattinsons Batman. Something not connected to the rest of DCEU.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
iF WB are going all in on the multiverse concept they could explain it that way but foresight and long term are two things WB doesn't have a lot of.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
After JOKER made a billion dollars, I'm certain WB is totally content with just making non-connected DC films from here on.

We're really past the days of Zack Snyder trying to be Kevin Feige.
JOKER made a billion dollars? Really? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Michael B. Jordan ... John David Washington ... John Boyega ... aren't there any black guys taller than 5'9" who are available to play Superman?

(02-27-2021, 12:51 AM)headless fett Wrote: JOKER made a billion dollars? Really? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard.

If you told me ten years ago that an R rated artsy fartsy standalone Joker film would make a billion dollars, but a Superman reboot followed by a Batman/Superman film and then a Justice League film never cross that threshold, I'd call you a fraud.
(02-27-2021, 12:53 AM)Overlord Wrote: Michael B. Jordan ... John David Washington ... John Boyega ... aren't there any black guys taller than 5'9" who are available to play Superman?
Jonathan Majors but he's playing Krusty the Conqueror in Antman 3.
(02-27-2021, 12:33 AM)Paul755 Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 12:24 AM)freeman Wrote: I honestly can't picture Jordan having the kind of aw-shucks sincerity required for the character, but I guess we're not sticking to the characterizations anymore and these guys can be dour murderers...

Your assuming it’s going to be small town raised, middle America Clark Kent.

I bet they go with him being Superman but a different person. This could even be a stand alone deal like Pattinsons Batman. Something not connected to the rest of DCEU.

Then why bother? That's not the character of Clark Kent anymore.
I'd of believed it more ten or fifteen years before 2019 than when Joker actually did came out. A mega hit Joker movie post Dark Knight? That doesn't seem too surprising.

Although it's funny that what happened with Joker is also what happened with Batman Begins and the studio seeing that as the smaller movie that wouldn't do as well as Superman Returns.