Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUPERMAN PRE-RELEASE (202X)
(02-27-2021, 02:04 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Sharp cultural commentary has no place in a Superman story!!!

You see sharp, I see goofy!

(02-27-2021, 02:25 PM)mondguy Wrote: Objection: "Quest for Peace" is in no way 'sharp'.

But it is tackling a hot-button issue of its day. And it's extremely stupid.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I mean, yeah, comics written for children in 1938 are gonna be a bit goofy, but it's been part of the character since his inception.
Well, yeah, the movie approaching the topic in an idiotic simplistic fashion is kinda the problem (along with all of the other problems the movie had)

I once had someone try to convince myself that Superman III was a needed commentary on the dangers of technology. My eyes still haven't finished spinning.
I don't know that robot seemed like pretty dangerous technology.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Hackers like Gus Gorman are what's putting democracy at risk right now!
SUPERMAN III is clearly a hard-hitting expose of the safety standards at acid manufacturing plants.
Superman III has a villain in it named Brad, so it's all right by me!
What about Trevante Rhodes? His career didn't take off the way I thought it would after Moonlight, but he's only 31. He's got that 1000 megawatt smile destined for superstardom.
(02-27-2021, 01:30 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I don't know if that's true. The TV side of things has leaned into it pretty good.

Far lower (financial) stakes for WB on TV.

They "need" a Superman movie to be huge at the box office.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(02-27-2021, 02:40 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Hackers like Gus Gorman are what's putting democracy at risk right now!

I prefer Zero Cool.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
And according to Ray Fisher, this whole announcement is all merely a distraction from his feud with Walter Hamada:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/ray-fisher-...234702582/
If Ray was serious about these allegations he would have lawyered up by now instead of flushing his career down the toilet.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
"They made me doody in my pants!" - Ray Fisher.

The real ending to Big...
(02-27-2021, 12:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Do we really want "sharp cultural commentary" in a Superman movie in the first place?  I sure as hell don't, and also don't appreciate the implication that it puts me in the particular category Michael described.

Nope. It's a character that I think works best in dealing with broad moral strokes. I reread What's So Funny About TJATAW pretty much every year and it's basically perfect in terms of what I want from Superman (the animated version is pretty decent). I think the character is at his most compelling as an example for everyone.

**And you absolutely knew that implication was coming.

****Lots of folks don't actually have a creative vision or rationale supporting the notion of mixing up the Superman formula, they just know it will piss off lots of terrible people they don't like. I kind of like that notion, too, but I hope there's more thought to it than just that.

I ran across this quote with about 200 upvotes that I thought was telling.

"I don't wanna see a black superman. I want to see more Black heroes. This to me, lacks creativity or an understanding of what black people even want. Black hero stories, not a color swap."
I'm a little surprised Sony never made sequels to Hancock. There you've got a studio making an original superhero movie, with a black actor, and it's hugely successful. Man of Steel did do a little better than it, but it terms of profitability it's easily the most successful "Superman" movie that's been made this century.
In the '90s, DC had a parallel Milestone universe with Black heroes like Icon, Hardware and Static. I'm surprised that they haven't done more with that universe outside of Static Shock.
Is Steel actually any popular at all outside of The Death of Superman arc?
Coates' involvement in this project provides me with confidence it will be handled thoughtfully. I'm not going to sweat about it until there exists a reason to do so.

(02-28-2021, 01:31 AM)freeman Wrote: Is Steel actually any popular at all outside of The Death of Superman arc?
He got his own movie dude.
A movie that as far as I've ever known is a complete joke.
Maybe Shaq can come back with the multiverse and bring his enemy John Hawkes with him!

[Image: 1xCJ66X.jpg]
[Image: kYhxIsj.jpg]
WB/DC didn't actually own Milestone, it was just something they put out, kind of like how Marvel published Kick-Ass under the Icon label but it's Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.'s comic. I'm also not sure how big the comics were. I want to say the Icon stuff kind of disappeared from grocery stores before it actually ended. Like I remember that first year of it, but I don't remember there still being Milestone titles in '97.

There was talk of a Static Shock movie last year. At the moment it seems it's still happening, and Reginald Hudlin and Michael B. Jordan are producers on it.
Here's some random thoughts from me:
- I really came to appreciate Superman after both Grant Morrison's All Star Superman Series AND Bill's speech Kill Bill.
- Snyder's MOS was a disappointment, but at least he had a take.
- At this point, there's nothing special about depicting Superman's powers on screen. Previously it was special, but not now.
- I'm an Australian, so maybe I know shit, but I find it hard to see how someone does a Superman movie without addressing what 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way' means anymore.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(02-28-2021, 01:21 AM)bradito Wrote: In the '90s, DC had a parallel Milestone universe with Black heroes like Icon, Hardware and Static. I'm surprised that they haven't done more with that universe outside of Static Shock.

A couple of the other characters show up on the Young Justice cartoon, I think. Also seem to remember seeing something recently from Denys Cowan that the line was getting a revival. Why they couldn't put together an animated feature or something, I don't know.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(02-28-2021, 12:49 AM)freeman Wrote: I ran across this quote with about 200 upvotes that I thought was telling.

"I don't wanna see a black superman. I want to see more Black heroes. This to me,  lacks creativity or an understanding of what black people even want.  Black hero stories, not a color swap."

There's validity to that, but at the same time, these aren't mutually exclusive choices.

You can have a Black Superman who's also a Black hero with a Black story.

Whether that's as good, better, or worse than an original Black hero story is, ultimately, a subjective call.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Well it wouldn't be a mere colour swap. If Coates is writing it, Superman as a black man would go beyond a mere aesthetic choice. What's weird is that there hasn't ever been a black Clark Kent, has there? The movies have generally followed a blueprint set by the comics - even if it's not exact. I have trouble imagining them making Clark black without it ever having been tested out on the comic level.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(02-27-2021, 12:33 AM)Paul755 Wrote: Your assuming it’s going to be small town raised, middle America Clark Kent.

I bet they go with him being Superman but a different person. This could even be a stand alone deal like Pattinsons Batman. Something not connected to the rest of DCEU.

I think Paul may be right here. There are a couple alternate Supermen in the books who are black and not Clark Kent, and it's going to be a Miles Morales kind of deal.
A non-Clark Superman would be a hard sell to a general audience. Just like a non-Bruce Batman. Sure, comics fans might know there's an extended "family," if you will, but the average moviegoer? Clark and Bruce are too woven into the fabric of the legacy of these characters (for good reason).
The only way to do it would be a Spider-Verse thing where Clark Kent is the audience hook to introduce a different Superman, but I don’t know how you do that without being transparently derivative of Spider-Verse.

WB didn’t even do the obvious thing and have a JGL as Robin John Blake Batman movie so the chances of a non Clark Kent Superman movie seem slim to me.
It worked with INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE-- can't imagine general audiences were familiar with Miles. Question I guess there is, did that only work in the context of Miles being a successor to the traditional Spidey, and because it was animated it didn't "matter" as much?

Anyway, they haven't done a fantastic job of selling traditional Supes either. I'm just thinking odds on it not being Clark at all are about 50/50.
(02-28-2021, 01:15 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I don’t know how you do that without being transparently derivative

[Image: jj-abrams.jpg?w=620]

Would that stop our buddy JJ? This is his story pitch, after all.

(02-28-2021, 01:17 PM)slim Wrote: did that only work in the context of Miles being a successor to the traditional Spidey, and because it was animated it didn't "matter" as much?

Yes.

Let's also not forget that INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE was not some juggernaut at the box office, either. It did fine, but was by no means some mega hit. It didn't crack the top 10 at the box office that year.
(02-28-2021, 11:45 AM)Evi Wrote: Well it wouldn't be a mere colour swap. If Coates is writing it, Superman as a black man would go beyond a mere aesthetic choice. What's weird is that there hasn't ever been a black Clark Kent, has there? The movies have generally followed a blueprint set by the comics - even if it's not exact. I have trouble imagining them making Clark black without it ever having been tested out on the comic level.

They tried getting Will Smith for a Superman movie in the 2000s.
Right. And didn't he cite WILD WILD WEST as turning him off of reimagining white pop-culture icons at the time?
The Salkinds always had Muhammad Ali on their shortlist.