Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUPERMAN PRE-RELEASE (202X)
(05-10-2021, 03:47 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: The thing about Nolan (and this is why I find it so silly when people try to ape his style) is that Nolan's Batman films aren't so much grim dark gritty realistic. I actually find them kind of fanciful. 

obviously, you gotta look at them in the continuum of shifting approaches to comic book movies

following B&R, BEGINS is obviously gonna feel intensely grim and gritty in comparison. and TDK dug harder into it. (and then TDKR eased off)

and today's reappraisal of that approach is gonna be recontextualized differently after going through the Snyder years

even Burton's Batman movies, which I believe were considered SO DARK AND SERIOUS in the context of the 60s series at the time, now come off very very fanciful and cartoony
I revisited BB and TDK during quar. What fun!
Yeah I think at the time, TDK felt so intense in a way that comic movies just weren’t. The “wanna see a magic trick” moment was when people in my theater figured out that this wasn’t your dad’s comic book movie.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
And yet Catwoman looks taken completely from the Adam West series. I love that..

I like how Batman doesn't *want* Catwoman to kill people but he also doesn't seem to mind so much after she smokes Bane.
(05-10-2021, 04:02 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 03:47 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: The thing about Nolan (and this is why I find it so silly when people try to ape his style) is that Nolan's Batman films aren't so much grim dark gritty realistic. I actually find them kind of fanciful. 
even Burton's Batman movies, which I believe were considered SO DARK AND SERIOUS in the context of the 60s series at the time, now come off very very fanciful and cartoony
Yes but...BATMAN is such a murderer in those movies! It's great. He explodes a clown!

(05-10-2021, 05:01 PM)bradito Wrote: I like how Batman doesn't *want* Catwoman to kill people but he also doesn't seem to mind so much after she smokes Bane.

Nolan Batman was always a hypocrite. "I don't have to save you"
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
At any rate, let's not have Superman kill anybody this time, even if they're assholes. Phantom Zone or bust!
The JJ Mystery Box still gets us every time. What's the deal with Black Superman? Drop 12-15$ on opening weekend and find out!

(turns out he Lives for Love, and Fights for Family)
(05-10-2021, 04:50 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Yeah I think at the time, TDK felt so intense in a way that comic movies just weren’t.  The “wanna see a magic trick” moment was when people in my theater figured out that this wasn’t your dad’s comic book movie.

Except I don't think this is why it felt intense.

To belabor the obvious to everyone here: TDK felt dark and grim because Batman fucking loses. Indeed, the film heavily implies the city is worse off because of his actions.

He doesn't just lose: he loses BOTH people in whom he'd invested all of his hope for a post-Batman life. Up to this point, big budget, four quadrant costumed hero movies did not pull that kind of shit on audiences. 

I don't mean to take anything away from Ledger's performance, which I consider far and away the best live action Joker we've ever seen. But it's because the film establishes and follows through on stakes that it's intense.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
“Hey lets make a Superman film...but he’s black!”

“Okay, wow that’s great, can’t wait to show how great this film can be, and the struggles he will have to go through to be The Man of Tomorrow.”

(The all white board starts to give people each other high fives then starts to sniff cocaine and choke their afternoon hooker).

“Hey JJ, can we just make him...a her!”

“Oh you need a hook-“

“Nah got her right here all bruised up, here have a snort”
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Man, if these guys did cocaine, we'd have better movies.
For the record, I'm 100% on board with Fleischer-inspired/referencing visuals.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
And stick with that dope outfit from the cartoon.
Should Nolan's Batman really be concerned that Catwoman fragged Bane when millions of people are about to die in a nuclear explosion in 10 minutes? He totes should've took the time to tut tut her for her bad behavior..

He's already nonplussed about people getting killed in Begins. It's very much in line with Nolan's take on him as an asshole and hypocrite.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I just don't see how he was supposed to save Ra's or why just not addressing the Bane thing till later is so bad compared to the magnitude of what is about to happen. Joker was neutralized and he saved him but whatever. I wanna see the movie where Batman yells to Selina "don't shoot him!" even though a nuke....in 10 minutes and he didn't even know she was there till she blasted him. Guess he should've done his damndest to not kill Talia too.

But anyway...now I really do want a Superman movie that looks like Sky Captain or the first Captain America. It doesn't have to be realistic. It can exist in its own bubble like Burton's Gotham. Not exactly realistic or influenced by the outside world even..

Nolan very intently focused on the hypocrisy of Batman's "No Kill policy."

"I won't kill you, but I won't save you." Shit I remember that in itself caused a shitstorm.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence