Charlotte Rampling as Arwen
Basil Rathbone as Saruman

Richard Dickson:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=7551]   

STARRING

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7552]   

FEATURING

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7565]
I wrestled with this a long time. Dickson's draft, for what he was aiming for was executed flawlessly, but if it's close, I'd prefer a straight adaptation. So, Bailey gets my vote.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
With Dickson's draft it really comes down to who's directing, and Richard Lester is already taken. Who could pull it together?

McKern is the best possible Gimli, but...

I go Dickson.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Bailey. Maybe I'm just not very imaginative, but I don't think the Python style treatment would work well with the source material, and Bailey just nailed every role.
I can't fault Bailey's cast (I'd been wanting to cast McKern myself, and wish I'd thought of McGoohan), but a cast with Cook, Moore, and all the Pythons, and in such well-chosen roles, has my heart. Point to Richard.
I love the creativity and humor in Richard's picks. Just great...

...but like eviltwin, I want a more "serious" adaptation of the books. So: bailey.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Both are very strong contenders and it's hard to pick a winner when they are so thematically different. In the end, I'm going with Richard for the simple fact that he not only got pretty much every viable British comedian (he lost Benny Hill) of that era BUT he utilized them beautifully. And dammit, I want to see Cooke and Moore as Legolas and Gimli.

Richard.
I vote for Richard giving Richard the narrow win!