Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE POST RELEASE
I'm making this just in case anyone wants to avoid spoilers for a movie you've already watched.  I liked it quite a bit.  A 7 or 8 out of ten.  It's the first DC film from Zack that actually approaches working for me without pissing me off and annoying me... With some exceptions.

Some very important and key context here.  This works much better than the theatrical cut.  But.  But.  BUUUUUT!!!!  It works much better than that cut because 1) It's tonally and stylistically relatively coherent.  2) It has two hours of additional context and content.  If you made anyone take this movie and cut it down to 2 and a half hours or less, you'd inevitably end up with something streamlined and redesigned like that cut was.  It is MINDBLOWING to me that the studio let Zack shoot over 4 hours of scenes for a movie that was according to everything everyone is saying, supposed to be Part 1 of a two Part arc.  You guys JUST MADE THIS MISTAKE!!!  They let him film three hours of BvS and then they had to mangle and destroy the movie by cutting it down to a reasonable theatrical length, and your response from that was to give him MORE runway????

I blame the tragedy of this films history ENTIRELY on WB.  (In the tone of Hooper from Jaws after the autopsy scene) This is not an "unwatchable" disaster.  It's not a horrible bomb.  It's Zacks best DC effort(by a lot), it's just completely unworkable as a feature, and the chapter dicing thing doesn't really work as a TV show either. 

Cyborgs story has significantly more context, and is frankly much better.  This is going to be a general trend.  More scenes to breathe, more context.  I'll even compliment Zack and say that the Cyborg storyline that I famously DESPISE(famous beloved man becomes even more awesome, just cries about Daddy issues) is actually very well done here.  Victor resents and dislikes his Father, but his Father isn't comically cold like he has been in past adaptations.  He's merely busy and absent. 

The Flash's introduction scene is just...  Bad.  Not good.  It's one of the moments I would have argued to cut or reshoot.  He has a meet-cute with Iris that is just awkward and stupid and even gets fairly creepy...  More detail later.  Arthur to be frank gets a couple of additional scenes...  But he doesn't benefit much from it.  There's more of him and it's all fine.

When we first meet Diana it's a slightly expanded terrorist attack scene from the OG cut.  I can't wait to rewatch that scene because here is probably the most violence in the entire movie, certainly the most violence on humans.  The terrorists are comically evil here, presumably to make us OK with Diana comically flinging them hard into walls head first.  Plenty of blood splatter and gore spots.  It's almost like Zack was telling me to go fuck myself for having issues with Batman's violence in the last movie.  Whatever man.  She's an Amazon.  I'm good with the Jenkins loving approach and the vicious warrior of justice thing, but it's certainly worth noting this is ZACKS Wondie.  This Wonder Woman and the two Jenkins films are different people when it comes to violence.

Batman is a bit of a wash.  He's tougher and more useful in a fight and "cool" than the Josstice Batman, but he's not as much as a detective and a thinker.  For example "Alfred I need the big guns" has been changed to "Lois just happens to be in the area getting coffee."  Generally speaking it's nice to see Affleck looking not red and puffy and obviously suffering from alcholism.

Steppenwolf is universally better.  His design is more interesting to look with his beastly face, big horns and weird shape.  Though I think his silver armor should have been a darker gunmetal, his armor actually "lives" on his body, undulating and pulsing like the Mother Boxes which makes him much more visually interesting.  He actually has a motivation here that I enjoyed.  He's a loser who double-crossed or let down Darksied in the past, and he's trying to get back in the big mans good graces by conquering tens of thousands of worlds just to get the time of day.   When he discovers the classic DC Anti Life equation is located on Earth, a primitive planet Darksied tried to conquer and failed in the past, he calls up Darksied and Darksied reaction to him made me laugh out loud.  It was like "Ugh, this fucking guy again."  His defeat also makes more sense and is nice and brutal.  Although he has this stupid little spider robot he plants on peoples faces that displays a hologram of all their secrets, and he ALWAYS throws people around first before using the spider mind-reading cheat device.  Very stupid and very annoying.  Use the spider first, idiot, no wonder you're in the dog house.

Humor.  Better than I expected, but this is still something the Whedon version did better despite plenty of cringe lines there.  There's a couple cute gags here that work, but unfortunately, some of the very best jokes were cut out, such as Flash's "I've just pushed people and run away" thing, and Batmans speech to him to "just save one, and you'll know what to do next.  Also, obviously since the Russian family are gone the Superman saving an apartment gag is also gone. 

Finally the stuff I TRULY disliked.  Not just "oh wow Wondie murdered the fuck out of him" stuff that slightly annoys me, I'm talking flat out didn't work.

The Martian Manhunter.  He has a scene where he goes to Lois in disguise as Clarks Mom and gives her a pep talk to go back to work and get back into the world.  He leaves the apartment, then in the middle of the hallway transforms into Manhunter and says to himself "the world needs you Lois" or some shit like that, before turning into the black general and walking away.  MOTHER FUCKER.  What?!  The world needs YOU, if you're protecting the Earth why aren't you fighting with the heroes?!  Why does the world need LOIS LANE to write articles?!  Why did you transform in the hallway?!  He also appears to Bruce in a final scene and it's just...  He feels VERY forced in.

Finally, the Knightmare vision that ends the movie.  Leto is worse here than he was in Suicide Squad.  By like, a lot.  Whatever it is he loves so much about his version of Joker...  Nah man, we're good.  Batman tells him "I'm going to fucking kill you someday" and Joker tells Batman "If I'm gone, who's going to be around to give you a reacharound?"

Oh and Amber Heard has one line about wanting revenge for Arthur in the Knightmare scene that is SO badly delivered...  That scene almost knocks a full point off the score. 

More after I brew on it.
What about Superman? How does he come off?
He’s good. He’s never quite as good as he is at the end of the OG cut. His big entrance now is jumping in front of steppenwolfs axe and going “I’m not impressed.” (Punch)

It’s about as lame as it sounds. I’m a big fan of justice was much better. But he is generally pretty happy to be alive and mom doesn’t give him any shit advice and he’s pretty much also a great Superman. Maybe just a bit more violent against steppenwolf. He lasers one of his horns off and there’s blood.
If Freeman says this is good than it must be a mastahpiecce.

10 outta 10. Snyder is the new Kubrick!!
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
(03-17-2021, 11:57 AM)ska oreo Wrote: If Freeman says this is good than it must be a mastahpiecce.

10 outta 10.  Snyder is the new Kubrick!!

to be clear...that's Stan Kubrick, manager of the local Arby's.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Not a master piece, no. His best DC effort. You can see old Zack in the corners of the story desperately wanting to leap in and fuck it all up.
I probably will never see this.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(03-17-2021, 12:27 PM)vtran Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 11:57 AM)ska oreo Wrote: If Freeman says this is good than it must be a mastahpiecce.

10 outta 10.  Snyder is the new Kubrick!!

to be clear...that's Stan Kubrick, manager of the local Arby's.

That's the same Arby's Ray Fisher is working at, right?

The real ending to Big...
(03-17-2021, 05:19 PM)headless fett Wrote: I probably will never see  this.

Something tells me you will still come in here and trash it as if you have seen it.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Like Commo!
Hey, now. I actually consider the content of people's reports of movies I haven't seen in my conjectural posts about what may therefore be wrong with them. I don't just go hategasming at random 'coz I don't like the director and/or am cheerleading for some other giant faceless media conglomerate.
So you tell yourself!
Good to hear Heard is consistent...just about every line delivery of hers in Aquaman took me out of the moment.

It can't think twice, can't reason, can't change it's prime directive. It's like a chainsaw set on frappé.
Amber Heards final appearance in the Knightmare sequence is SO BAD I was shocked. Her line delivery is humiliating.
Like Ray Fisher, that's the last you'll ever see her in that role. Better soak it up.

The real ending to Big...
Heard was TERRIBLE in Aquaman. She and Momoa have zero chemistry to boot.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(03-17-2021, 09:03 PM)Paul755 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 05:19 PM)headless fett Wrote: I probably will never see  this.

Something tells me you will still come in here and trash it as if you have seen it.

Not true. I saw the original JL on Netflix and after it was over I was glad that I didn't suffer through it at the theater. It was mediocre at best and I'm sure as hell not sitting through FOUR HOURS of it padded with deleted scenes and added footage. I'm looking forward to THE FALCON & THE WINTER SOLDIER giving me the quality superhero fix that I need thanks.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I don’t remember her much in AQUAMAN beyond the fact that she had the fakest wig I’ve seen since INHUMANS.
(03-17-2021, 11:01 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Heard was TERRIBLE in Aquaman. She and Momoa have zero chemistry to boot.

She was ok. But I think she’s mainly there to look REALLY good in that ridiculously tight green suit.
And i am fine with that! "Runs off to my bunk".
There's a really funny weird beat where Aquaman and Bruce are first meeting, and Aquaman takes off into the ocean and some weird like throat singing women sing a creepy little mourning song as he leaves that we linger on for like a full minute at least.

"You're not going to cut this Zack? Oh you're an artiste with a vision that I'm stomping on? This is actually genius? Ok bud have fun."
But she didn't. That outfit looked like it was made to restrict breathing. It's hard to think of a lady as hot when you're constantly afraid she'll need emergency services.

It can't think twice, can't reason, can't change it's prime directive. It's like a chainsaw set on frappé.
(03-17-2021, 11:41 PM)freeman Wrote: There's a really funny weird beat where Aquaman and Bruce are first meeting, and Aquaman takes off into the ocean and some weird like throat singing women sing a creepy little mourning song as he leaves that we linger on for like a full minute at least.

"You're not going to cut this Zack? Oh you're an artiste with a vision that I'm stomping on?  This is actually genius?  Ok bud have fun."

Stuff like that will get cut when they release a 2 1/2 hour “theatrical cut” in theatres next year.
You're going to hear a lot about "THIS VERSION IS SO MUCH BETTER" in the next few days... And it is... With the benefit of FOUR HOURS that no theatrical release would ever have.

ANY two and a half-hour version of this movie would end up just like the theatrical cut, needing to pull out entire subplots like weeds. Ray Fisher is fucking nuts if he thinks over a full hour of the JL movie should have been focused just on his characters origin movie.
Ok, started in on this before bed. Just a couple of things from my short venture into the movie. Yeah, that song bit needed to be edited down. So Wonder Woman demolishes the side of a building with her wrist blam to take down (sonic atomize?) one guy she was close enough to disarm with her speed. And Steppenwolf's pale eyes make him look like a roided up mutant Brad Dourif. Bed time.

It’s Zack Snyder violence. It’s look cool before logic that’s the understanding we all must enter.
So I take it Fisher never says “booyah”.
I can’t remember him saying anything memorable.

He is an ACT TOOOOR
I DEMAND REACTIONS FROM ALL OF YOU
Watched the first hour - it's divided into easily digestible "Parts" even though I sort of regret doing that now. Once I started, I felt like I could watch the whole thing in one sitting... it’s REALLY cool so far. The two approaches are so hilariously different. Nothing sums them up better than the openings.

Whedon’s opens with a pretty sweet phone shot of Superman and his weird lip being nice to a kid, followed a bunch of roof exposition.

Snyder’s opens with AN INSANE FIVE MINUTE LONG SEQUENCE OF THE WORLD REACTING TO SUPERMAN’S DEATH SCREAM.

Never change, Zack.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
It’s great when it should be just TERRIBLE.

The scream reverbing around makes me lol.
(03-17-2021, 11:47 PM)mrdrow Wrote: But she didn't. That outfit looked like it was made to restrict  breathing. It's hard to think of a lady as hot when you're constantly afraid she'll need emergency services.

This. Heard is undeniably attractive but she looks...not so great...in the getup. The weird hair color doesn't help, either (and I'm a total sucker for redheads, so you KNOW they did something wrong).
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Zack Snyder's black and white version of the film, The Justice Is Gray Edition, has an alternative ending with Jared Leto's Joker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xItQbmGam8g&t=1718s

Zack Snyder: "The truth is there's probably about 10 Snyder cuts — there's a longer version than the four-hour version. There's a three-hour version. A two-hour and 20. I think I showed the studio two hours and 40 minutes. And then I showed them subsequent cuts of two hours and 30 minutes, and two hours and 28 minutes, and two hours and 22 minutes."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/movie...eague.html

#CrisisOfInfiniteSnyderCuts
So far, this is just more of the vision of the DCU I didn't like in Man of Steel or BvS. My problems with JL were in the entire set up for it, not just in its execution. More Snyder League isn't going to improve on that.
Just this guy, you know?
Marvel may introduce a mulitverse, while DC will have an infinity of Snyder Cuts.

Edit: Sorry, Barry, overlooked your hashtag earlier.