Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE POST RELEASE
(03-18-2021, 11:22 PM)headless fett Wrote: I saw that the Russian Avengers movie GUARDIANS is on Tubi. Think I might check that out since I've heard it's pretty fun.

It is not. It is phenomenally terrible. 'Inhumans' was better.
(03-19-2021, 12:07 AM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Nothing is missed from the first version.

You're NUTS.
(03-19-2021, 12:07 AM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: It was a little flabby in the section before Superman came back

If he had been able to do his own reshoots instead of leaving the project, I think Zack would have seen he needed some more connective tissue with Batman. He still comes off as very subdued compared to BvS.

I'm a madman, so I loved the Joker scene. That was one fuckin' sweet f-bomb, bro.
Superman doesn't show up till 2 hours and 40 minutes pass. That's a lot of flab. That's 20 minutes more than the 1st Avengers movie and that's with credits

Adding more scenes to the four hour run time? If you can't connect the dots with a 4 hour run time then adding scenes won't help.

Leto is literally the worst Joker on film and his scene at the end was painfully bad. His suicide Squad scenes were better and those were terrible..

Parts of the movie were better than the original but there were so much bloat that I can't say it's better. Snyder would have to put a 2 hour cut for a fair comparison. The ending was better. The epilogue was terrible.

This movie needed a solo Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash before going to this to make it work especially if you are going to have the Flash and Cyborg so prominent in the final battle. Cramming 3 main characters backstory's into this just slows the movie down too much.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
I watched this all in one sitting. Even though I started to fade out in the last hour, overall I really enjoyed it. My biggest takeaway was how much I liked Steppenwolf in this, both in terms of his his redesign and his new motivation. I actually felt bad for the guy. He's like E.T., he just wants to go home!
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Well, I loved it. How can you not love a movie in which an ominous slab of rock morphs into the hologram of a Satanic alien witch doctor?
(03-19-2021, 01:35 AM)serpico jones Wrote: Well, I loved it. How can you not love a movie in which an ominous slab of rock morphs into the hologram of a Satanic alien witch doctor?

I loved that visual!
I love the design of Desaad. His cloaked goblin-looking situation was great.

Never ever let it be said that Zack Snyder is bad at design. He's like a complete reverse of Bryan Singer. Everything looks GREAT as opposed to SHIT.
(03-18-2021, 09:38 PM)slim Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: And yeah, it feels like the Lois/Martha stuff is off in its own movie about dealing with the grief of Superman's death.  Plus Superman's return is both overemphasized AND diminished by being shoved into this story.

And some of the Lois/Martha stuff isn't even Lois/Martha!

"Martha, I really appreciated you coming by the other day to give me a pep talk, I really needed it."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Can't tell me we couldn't lose most of the ancient battle with Darkseid, say, in favor of other stuff, or nothing at all. Especially since it shows Darkseid getting his ass handed to him. Not scary.

It is kind of difficult to judge on these terms when self indulgence is almost the point of the whole exercise. But it's not just the length, it's how it's used. Lots of possibilities here, and the balance of Superman-related stuff make for some of the most frustrating missed ones. Ah well.

By someone who we've seen just one of our heroes on her lonesome beat the shit out of, to boot.
It was a weird setup to show the biggest baddie in all of DC got his ass handed to him by primitive man.

We have lots and lots of technology now Darksied. You couldn't handle bows and arrows, mate.
Is it time to rank?

Time to rank.

RAAAAANNNKKK
1. Shazam!
2. Birds of Prey
3. Wonder Woman
4. Wonder Woman 1984
5. Justice League (Snyder Cut)
6. Justice League (Whedon Cut)
7. Aquabro
8. Man of Steel
9. Batman v Superman
10. Root canal
11. Suicide Squad
(03-19-2021, 02:59 AM)freeman Wrote: It was a weird setup to show the biggest baddie in all of DC got his ass handed to him by primitive man.

is it that different from showing sauron defeated at the beginning of fellowship?
But what about Batman '66?
(03-19-2021, 03:06 AM)Nooj Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 02:59 AM)freeman Wrote: It was a weird setup to show the biggest baddie in all of DC got his ass handed to him by primitive man.

is it that different from showing sauron defeated at the beginning of fellowship?

Did Darkseid change forms so dramatically that there'd be no way to fight him the same way twice?
Gamertag: Tweakee
I'm watching this currently and so far it's actually extremely good.

However, there seems to be some confusion.... AQUAMAN is the best DC film and always will be.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(03-19-2021, 03:06 AM)Nooj Wrote:

It would be like if we beat Sauron at the beginning of Fellowship, and then tens of thousands of years passed and middle earth got Predator drones.

It's a bit like that wonderful Buffy joke where the big bad of season 2 is THE JUDGE.  A massive demon who's been asleep for hundreds of years, but who's back and unstoppable, he's so badass that NO WEAPON FORGED BY MAN can defeat him!  They hammer that into your head, no weapon forged by man can even HURT this dude!  And then this happens.

And it's like, oh yeah.  Time progressed.  Man got more badass.
so you're saying that it's dumb that so little progressed in middle earth after sauron's defeat!
Come on guys, Darkseid clearly underestimated Earth the first time. Steppenwolf comments how there are no Kryptonians or Laterns this time. Not that they were particularly decisive in the first battle, but there's a sense that they've thought things through before the second attempt.
what they need is Ryan Reynolds and his green hot wheels track!!
They've got weird alien Lantern who gets decapitated and then his ring heads off to find a new owner. This is all good stuff!

I actually liked that the one who did the most to turn back Darkseid was Ares who later turns villain.

This film is hitting the exact right level of nerd indulgence for me.
yeah I really enjoyed those really incidental details that were all over that sequence

just really cool grand stuff!

what a treat to see BUFF THEWLIS again!
I might have to step away from the keyboard for the next 3 hours. So far I think this has been a phenomenal success.
oh, you're watching it now!
(03-19-2021, 03:42 AM)Nooj Wrote: so you're saying that it's dumb that so little progressed in middle earth after sauron's defeat!

What I'm saying is if we beat up Darksied way back then, why should the modern world FULL of super people be worried about this dweeb?

I get your Sauron comparison, but it IS different context. Sauron is invading a static world that does not change. That's the nature of Tolkien. Plus Sauron goes on to remain as this sort of evil spirit that infects the world like a parasite or something. Darksied is just a dude who lost, and then... I guess lost track of where the planet Earth is?

Can anyone clarify this for us? Darksied wants Earth because of the Anti Life equation which will make it easy for him to enslave the galaxy. It's basically the same motivation as Thanos, he's looking for magic bullshit tools that will make his overall goal must faster. And he uncovers the equation on Earth, or maybe he carves it into Earth?

I'm assuming he uncovered the equation on Earth with that axe slam, he didn't write it, because otherwise what the fuck does he need Earth for? He knows the equation. But if that's what he wants SOOOOO bad... How'd he lose track of the only planet ever that kicked his ass that has his coveted equation on it?
(03-19-2021, 04:05 AM)freeman Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 03:42 AM)Nooj Wrote: so you're saying that it's dumb that so little progressed in middle earth after sauron's defeat!

What I'm saying is if we beat up Darksied way back then, why should the modern world FULL of super people be worried about this dweeb?

because the modern world has all the weapons, but NO UNITY!  hahahaha

we also lack SWOLL THEWLIS!
The Avengers 1 did "we need unity" significantly better. But that goes without saying.
(03-19-2021, 04:03 AM)Nooj Wrote: oh, you're watching it now!

Yeah, apologies for live tweeting. Will chime in when I'm done. (but it's great)
Two hours in now. It's the same movie in that there are still mother boxes and it's not suddenly a story about firemen trying to save a retirement home but I think it's pretty stunning how they took out everything that interests Snyder about the DCEU. He LOVES the gods and monsters aspect of it. Zeus fighting alongside Atlanteans and Lanterns, celtic singing, dopey Amazonian rituals, and every little bit of that was removed to turn it into another film about comical characters who happen to be superpowered and become a family. It's not perfect, there are definitely a few scenes that scream DELETED SCENE, the writing is often quite hammy, the effects still need a lot of work and Amber Heard's accent is atrocious but I'm finding it so so much more engaging and interesting to dig into so far.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
They took out the shit Zack REALLY loves, which is all that EDGE. Very little controversial happens in this film. It's clear the studio said "nuh uh" after BvS and he told a very safe very straight forward story.

You can see in the apocalypse scene where his heart really is.
It's essentially like taking a Tarantino movie and having it re-edited by a guy who hates violence, references to old movies and feet.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
The bits that matter most for me in this version:

- Cyborg and his dad
- Flash being kind of unashamedly OP... yet also not being that useful
- Batman being less of a chump
- Steppenwolf being desperate to get back in the good books
- Enough space in the film to give the new character introductions enough time.
- Saving Superman till like 90 minutes to go. As a fan of LONG doom metal albums, I appreciate me some delayed satisfaction.

OMG the epilogue is terrible.

Honestly, "Evil Superman" is the worst idea in all of comics. It's what you do where you don't know how to write a good Superman story.
Well I ended up conflicted with this.

The things that sunk it for me was:
1. Stubbornly not providing a conclusion. I don't know if Zack Snyder believes he's gonna get a JL pt 2, but as it stands, this movie remains an incomplete narrative. Darkseid exits this film like Thanos in Age Of Ultron. That's not an ending!
2. Superman is wasted again. I'm ok with the DC heroes being uber powerful, but it feels like Supes is just the ultimate weapon and nothing more. I'm glad Flash and Cyborg get fleshed out here, but the world needs a good Superman story right now.
(03-19-2021, 12:07 AM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Nothing is missed from the first version.

The ONLY thing I missed from the theatrical version was Batman saying, "Jesus, he's tall" during the aquaduct fight.

(03-19-2021, 01:35 AM)serpico jones Wrote: Well, I loved it. How can you not love a movie in which an ominous slab of rock morphs into the hologram of a Satanic alien witch doctor?

DeSaad gave off strong Klytus (from Flash Gordon) vibes to me which, of course, I loved.

(03-19-2021, 06:33 AM)kriegaffe Wrote:  Stubbornly not providing a conclusion. I don't know if Zack Snyder believes he's gonna get a JL pt 2, but as it stands, this movie remains an incomplete narrative. Darkseid exits this film like Thanos in Age Of Ultron. That's not an ending!

This is not intended in a snotty way - but I'm a little baffled by this. Because Snyder never intended JL to be a completely standalone story. His goal was to pit the JL against Darkseid, and this was the first part of that. The other big part, of course, was bringing Superman back. The film accomplishes both of those things, as well as introducing three entirely new heroes.

It actually ended FAR more conclusively than I had expected. While the larger threat looms, the immediate threat was decisively dealt with, Earth has her most powerful defender back, there's an actual, functioning Justice League, and Batman Found His Groove Again.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I'm still surprised they made the macguffins of the movie Mother Boxes. In the comics they seem more like the smartphones of the New Gods.

It can't think twice, can't reason, can't change it's prime directive. It's like a chainsaw set on frappé.
Well, there’s the bit about Darkseid waging war on the earth. A film we’re not going to see

And then there’s all the Knightmare stuff, which is another film we’re not going to see.

Like, we could say these elements were always gonna be in the film that Snyder would have made IF he got a chance to make it as part of 2 part JL sequence. But in no world was he ever gonna make a 4 hour JL film for theatrical release.

I reckon it would be a better film if all the Knightmare stuff were in the bin. Partly because it looks like a really terrible film.
The only thing I missed from the Whedon version was the Batman/Flash "Just save one" bit. Thought Flash's fear of being battle the first time (and Batman helping him conquer it) was a nice contrast to the other characters.