Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS Official Pre-Release Thread
First trailer is out:

I have no idea what's going on here (I literally know nothing about the character) but it looks cool and fun!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Same. But it's definitely a bummer how much Marvel waffled on Immortal Iron Fist. But I imagine that Marvel will want to do right by that property and we'll get some sort of reboot.

On the teaser. It's definitely more of an action flex. It doesn't really tell you anything about this character other than: "yes, we got asians in this movie. No, Tilda Swinton will not be a part of this. And yes, they can all fight." The action looks good; the tiny bit of wuxia we got looks better than the entirety of Mulan. I am cautiously optimistic that this will be fun.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
They had me with the fu lions.
Just this guy, you know?
Wondering if the character shown at the 1:00 mark is who I think it is.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This looks terrific. Appreciate that they're leaning hard on the fighting, as it (hopefully) portends an exciting film.

(04-19-2021, 10:13 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Wondering if the character shown at the 1:00 mark is who I think it is.

I think? It's not a secret; they announced they were doing the "real" version of that character.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I know this is mostly just Marvel (/Disney) continuing to push *hard* for that Chinese market penetration. So my cynicism is naturally piqued. In the end, though, the teaser looked quite good, and any sort of kumite film sounds great to me. It seems we are only going to get traditional action movies packaged inside of superhero and Wickian boxes for a while, so I'll take it.
I'm not Avery.
it has "Marvel presents: THEATRICAL TV!!" look

but the action looks fun!
Looks incredibly cool. Something I haven't felt about an MCU project. In. YEARS.

(04-19-2021, 10:13 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Wondering if the character shown at the 1:00 mark is who I think it is.

Didn't look racist enough to my liking. Where's the green skin?!?!

The real ending to Big...
(04-19-2021, 10:42 AM)Nooj Wrote: it has "Marvel presents: THEATRICAL TV!!" look

but the action looks fun!

Not even Bill Pope can defeat the Marvel house look!
Having just rewatched THE AVENGERS (2012), I'll take this "house look" over Whedon's bland, flat, lifeless direction that looks like it was filmed on a soundstage in Toronto.
home taping is killing music
I don't think it looks too aggressively like television. It looks way better than AGENTS OF SHIELD or any of the Netflix shows to me, just visually.

Some dodgy effects, though (the "hero shot" of Shang-Chi in the bus looks to have a strange exterior plate behind him), but that's standard issue in every blockbuster now.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Looks fun. But, also looks totally derivative of China's action movie hits of the past 50 years. I'll be curious if it's embraced or rejected in China.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
in my experience, youtube does tend to enhance that particular look in a negative way

once I see it in a theater, it's a reaction that's usually diminished

But I'll have to make sure to go see it in a Dolby Cinema theater just for the enhanced black levels!

Damned marvel is making me pay an upcharge to compensate for their milky-gray cinematography!! I SEE WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!!
(04-19-2021, 11:13 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I don't think it looks too aggressively like television.  It looks way better than AGENTS OF SHIELD or any of the Netflix shows to me, just visually.

Some dodgy effects, though (the "hero shot" of Shang-Chi in the bus looks to have a strange exterior plate behind him), but that's standard issue in every blockbuster now.

It definitely has the steely, unconsidered composition look that The Mandalorian has.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I would describe myself as "steely, unconsidered."
Looks GREAT but it's really missing just one thing...

[Image: 200.gif]

Put THAT in front and I'll be grinning the entire time.
But will Scoot McNairy and Ben Kingsley be in this somewhere?

Also the comics nerd in me thinks its interesting that The Mandarin's rings have been turned into bracelets for this.
Looks like a lot of fun. Something different! Those rings/bracelets are going to be vibranium, calling it now.

**I was completely unfamiliar with the lead actor and was kind of surprised when the trailer made it clear that he was, in fact, the lead. Going online, I see that the online whinging about his appearance is EXACTLY what I thought it would be. Guess his elbows are too pointy. Never change, internet.

As a skeptic of recent MCU stuff, I say... it looks promising.

The main guy's attitude and stance look good.

Watch "Nora from Queens" on Comedy Central/HBO Max, it made me fall in love with Awkwafina. She is unbelievably funny when she's unleashed.

Bill Pope is there, I hear the choreographer is good, all they need is to not butcher it in the editing. Color grading is a lost cause, as observed above.
It's really too bad that Chang Cheh couldn't have lived long enough to direct this. Good God, a MCU film in the style of a classic Kung Fu joint would have been amazing.
Even Chang Cheh couldn't get past the MCU pre-viz process!
oh man, I do hope that this film has cameos from Kuo Chui, Lo Mang, Lu Feng, and the other surviving actors from that classic era.  Lo Mang is still very active (he's in the IP MAN films) and there's no reason he couldn't be a featured actor in here.

Lo Mang then:
[Image: ada1dc03fea3d63efc43892935a1444f.jpg]

Lo Mang now:
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
(04-19-2021, 03:33 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: oh man, I do hope that this film has cameos from Kuo Chui, Lo Mang, Lu Feng, and the other surviving actors from that classic era.  Lo Mang is still very active (he's in the IP MAN films) and there's no reason he couldn't be a featured actor in here.

James Hong or GTFO.

James Hong goes without saying.
(04-19-2021, 03:49 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: James Hong goes without saying.

[Image: e274976bdbf5b5291e636f373c8c1df50d1b03d3...224_hq.gif]

It's too bad we lost Victor Wong a few years ago.
Outside of the bigness of the bus stunt at the end it just looks like a tv show. The action, what little they show of it before cutting to a different part of another action scene, doesn't look particularly good either.

The looks of the characters seems pretty generic tv too. Remember how when the MCU started, and the cool thing about it was that the characters looked closer to the comic book character than the other stuff? Well it doesn't seem like Marvel remembers that anymore.

I was hoping for more, and that trailer is pretty disappointing. I guess I was expecting more from what will surely be the most expensive martial arts movie ever made.
(04-19-2021, 11:13 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I don't think it looks too aggressively like television. It looks way better than AGENTS OF SHIELD or any of the Netflix shows to me, just visually.

I increasingly don't give a shit how things look. I used to watch a show from the 70's/80's called Blake's 7 had a climactic battle between the Earth Federation and the Andromeda Galaxy which looked for all the world like someone had emptied out some kitchen drawers and were smashing the contents together while filming it.

However, when I went back to watch the show not that long ago, the story was so compelling and the performances so magnetic that I almost instantly didn't care how cheap it looked.

By that token, IMO Agents of SHIELD at its best easily kicks most of the MCU into a cocked hat. It took the potential advantage of longform storytelling and worldbuilding and actually didn't waste it for the best part.

This on the other hand is probably at best going to be yet another MCU 3 stars out of 5 effort and based just on this, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say 2 to 2. 5 at best.
The five stages of grief that TC posters give me in every fucking comic book movie thread...

1) Denial - "I'm probably not going to see this."
2) Anger - "Ugh, look at the grading! It's like a TV show!"
3) Bargaining - "If the reviews are good, I might see this."
4) Depression - "The score is uninspired."
5) Acceptance - "I loved this, except for one minor nitpick that I'm going to repeatedly bring up for the next nine years."
(04-19-2021, 05:13 PM)simbob Wrote: Outside of the bigness of the bus stunt at the end it just looks like a tv show. The action, what little they show of it before cutting to a different part of another action scene, doesn't look particularly good either.

The looks of the characters seems pretty generic tv too. Remember how when the MCU started, and the cool thing about it was that the characters looked closer to the comic book character than the other stuff? Well it doesn't seem like Marvel remembers that anymore.

I was hoping for more, and that trailer is pretty disappointing. I guess I was expecting more from what will surely be the most expensive martial arts movie ever made.

Biggest thing for me in making it look cheap is that everything looks claustrophobic except for the "big" action sequences that feature godawful greenscreen backgrounds.

(04-19-2021, 05:33 PM)bradito Wrote: The five stages of grief that TC posters give me in every fucking comic book movie thread...

1) Denial - "I'm probably not going to see this."
2) Anger - "Ugh, look at the grading! It's like a TV show!"
3) Bargaining - "If the reviews are good, I might see this."
4) Depression - "The score is uninspired."
5) Acceptance - "I loved this, except for one minor nitpick that I'm going to repeatedly bring up for the next nine years."

First ever MCU film I ever saw was The Avengers in 2012, so it's not like I used to rush out in a hurry to see them.

Though eventually I did learn to love Big Brother.

Well, except for Iron Man 2. That was diabolical.
I'm furious right now
Nooj is in stage two.
IT'S THE ONLY STAGE!!!

also, it looks like the composer hired for the film is Ryan Amon

he actually doesn't have that many major credits yet. ELYSIUM is the only major feature film. The rest are shorts and video games.

That's pretty cool. I hope he does a good job.
I liked Elysium.