Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1930s Draft: Sign-up & Discussion
(06-08-2021, 07:57 PM)Mangy Wrote: I'll probably be that person, FE. I don't see your picks on streaming, but maybe YouTube?

YT might have 'em. Look for my first 2 to pop up on TCM from time to time.

Pick about to drop I first saw programmed on a TCM double bill with your I WAS A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG.

BTW, glad to see ya in this Boone! Nice Ford grab!

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

FREAKS could have gone #1 overall and I wouldn't have blinked.

Same with RULES OF THE GAME.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
Nice one with THE RULES OF THE GAME. If that had fit with my theme I'd have grabbed it. Definitely one of the best films of the 30s and of all time, and I have a hard time deciding between that one and GRAND ILLUSION for 'best' film from Renoir.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
So far, the picks today have been in the haven't seen it or haven't heard of it buckets. I'd like to contribute to the conversation, but I think I'd have to watch a few movies first.
If you haven't see SHE DONE HIM WRONG know that Mae West knifes a bitch in the film. With no consequences. Well, other than getting to fuck Cary Grant.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
THE BLACK CAT is so wonderfully strange, and you get to hear Bela Lugosi say the word "baloney."
I kinda wanted to stay away from straight horror flicks because those are the ones I always go to for older films, but Mabuse still out there on day three was a tragedy. Plus, I can say it's a crime film instead.
Honestly I thought more horror films would be gone by now. A Pre-Code Horror theme seems natural.

Also there's one huge elephant in the room.
(06-09-2021, 03:52 PM)eviltwin Wrote: Also there's one huge elephant in the room.

It was almost my pick, but The Mummy left more of an impression on me when I saw it as a kid, and that's kinda the theme I'm going for here.
Just this guy, you know?
(06-09-2021, 02:18 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I kinda wanted to stay away from straight horror flicks ...

I mean, being tired of genre efforts consistently conforming to heternormative paradigms is valid, I guess.

No judgment.

The best queer horror film was taken day one, anyways.
Chosen list is up to date. I count that we're missing a drafter for today, though.
(06-09-2021, 01:35 PM)eviltwin Wrote: If you haven't see SHE DONE HIM WRONG know that Mae West knifes a bitch in the film. With no consequences. Well, other than getting to fuck Cary Grant.

Ms. West? But she seemed like such a refined and gentle lady.
THE BLACK CAT must have seemed positively obscene when it was released.
It's crazy some of the stuff they got away with in pre-code horror.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
(06-09-2021, 06:58 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Chosen list is up to date.  I count that we're missing a drafter for today, though.

I picked late!
Dammit, Mangy! I was hoping that one would slip by!
Maybe about a decade now, after working a really long shift at Barnes & Noble, I went to see RULES OF THE GAME for the first time at Anthology in NYC. Anthology is one of those places where it's basically a converted loft, and they brought in movie chairs, but there's still piping on the walls, painted black.

It was probably the best possible place to see that movie, and when it was over, I remember thinking, "Well that's probably the greatest goddamn movie ever made."

There are certain movie experiences where I like to rarely revisit films just to keep that first viewing as pure in my mind as possible. RULES OF THE GAME is one of those. I haven't seen it since that night ten years ago, but it is fucking burned into my brain.
home taping is killing music
Hell yes on CAPTAIN BLOOD.
(06-09-2021, 03:52 PM)eviltwin Wrote: Also there's one huge elephant in the room.

The elephant was one of the biggest/most formative films for my wife growing up, and she made me watch it multiple times (despite the fact that I had seen it already.) For me, the reason I'm shying away from it has less to do with it being politically incorrect, and more to do with the fact that there are still unpicked films I enjoy more.
THIRTEEN WOMEN is one I've been meaning to check out.
I was actually thinking of another elephant besides Gone With the Wind, but I was curious when that would go. The craft and scope of the thing are undeniable, and if you're compiling a list of the great films of the decade, it has to be there, all its other issues aside.
Just this guy, you know?
(06-10-2021, 12:46 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I was actually thinking of another elephant besides Gone With the Wind, but I was curious when that would go.  The craft and scope of the thing are undeniable, and if you're compiling a list of the great films of the decade, it has to be there, all its other issues aside.

The spectacle and star power overcome the horribly regressive POV for me.  The burning of Atlanta is an all-timer.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
(06-10-2021, 12:46 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I was actually thinking of another elephant besides Gone With the Wind, but I was curious when that would go.

Ah, true- that was probably the one ET was referring to, since he was talking horror.

Anyway, glad GWTW is off the board, just to get it out there.
I didn't expect my beloved Captain Blood to be picked, let alone minutes before I was about to submit it myself. I gambled and lost. Well played, Boone, you bastard.
Are we doing a bonus round?
Just this guy, you know?
(06-10-2021, 01:10 PM)Hot Sandwich Wrote: I didn't expect my beloved Captain Blood to be picked, let alone minutes before I was about to submit it myself. I gambled and lost. Well played, Boone, you bastard.

Because THE SEA HAWK is a 1940 film and not viable for drafting, I'm comfortable bringing it up.
Both CAPTAIN BLOOD and THE SEA HAWK are about as good as it gets in terms of high seas adventure.  Just stupendous entertainment all around.
We are doing a bonus round. I'll have a thread for it up later today.
One of my favorite days I spent at the theater was WIZARD OF OZ and GONE WITH THE WIND back to back. Only way to fly.
home taping is killing music
My Man Godfrey doesn't get enough credit for how beautifully staged and shot it is. La Cava  continuously keeps action going between foreground and background.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Damn, I had LIBELED LADY set for tomorrow. Nice one, hammerhead!
(06-10-2021, 01:07 PM)bailey Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 12:46 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I was actually thinking of another elephant besides Gone With the Wind, but I was curious when that would go.

Ah, true- that was probably the one ET was referring to, since he was talking horror.

Anyway, glad GWTW is off the board, just to get it out there.
I was thinking of GWTW as the gigantic elephant but the other elephant was on my mind. Of which I could imagine both versions going.

Also I just want to chime in and say that I love THE 39 STEPS. Glad to see that get picked.
I almost took Twentieth Century yesterday. Was thinking about taking it today too.
If I'd been in the position to have the overall # 1 pick, I would've rolled with MY MAN GODFREY.

also, THE ROARING TWENTIES fucking rules...

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I kind of stumbled into a theme of characters involved in show business. Also blondes.

TWENTIETH CENTURY isn't the best of Hawks' screwball comedies but it sure works like gangbusters. And Carole Lombard is unquestionably one of the stars of the decade.