Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1930s Draft: Sign-up & Discussion
(06-10-2021, 07:30 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: also, THE ROARING TWENTIES fucking rules...

It does. I had a bit of a tough time choosing between it and ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES yesterday.

THE INVISIBLE MAN and THE RAVEN are both good horror picks. The latter is the only one of the Karloff-Lugosi pairings where Bela gets to take center stage, and he really makes the most of it.
Chosen List is up to date.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
I probably won't be able to make my draft time today, so please feel free to skip me.
I'll be able to make picks, but I probably won't be able to update my list until Sunday.
Just this guy, you know?
That's a sexy pre-code pick, Dickson. And perfectly keeping with your theme.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
I'm a bit delayed at the moment, so feel free to skip me if you need.
home taping is killing music
Yeah, these are all films I remember seeing in the dim reaches of my childhood, and all planted the seed for a future obsession:

Oz - Fantasy/epic quest
Opera - Groucho was an early influence on my sense of humor
Mummy - Horror
Flash - Sci-fi
Tarzan - Action/Adventure
Just this guy, you know?
@Fat Elvis: you've drafted many that I haven't seen. I'm making note of these to watch when I get a chance. That's the only reason why I haven't commented on your picks because I'm sure they're all excellent.
One of my favorite writers on the Golden Age, Sheila O'Malley, had a blog post about 'Pre-Code Sizzlers', and, to paraphrase, she said 'Blue Velvet has nothing on the perversity shown in 1933’s The Cheat' - so you gotdamn right I immediately rushed out to find it! Tallulah Bankhead is a legend not shouted out enough. Fascinating talent. Fascinating life. This is my favorite thing I've ever seen her in.

THIRTEEN WOMEN, the film I picked yesterday, is surely the least film of the Draft because the only surviving copy is cut down to 59 minutes, but as a mood piece it's excellent. Genuinely disturbing, and pretty much the blueprint for the Giallo and the classic Slasher wave. Give it a shot if you see it listed on TCM!

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Yeah, Tallulah Bankhead was screaming hot. I've enjoyed her in the other films of hers that I've seen.
I watched a documentary about nudity in film and man, pre-code Hollywood was like a teenage boy finding his dad's Playboy collection. It was practically literally train arriving in station -> tits.
Just this guy, you know?
Tallulah Bankhead is considered the greatest stage performer of alltime, but moved to Hollywood to fuck Gary Cooper after she saw him onscreen - and she did! Yesss, queen....

[Image: 33-1024x662.jpg]

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

End of day five for Dracula? Wow
(06-11-2021, 02:25 PM)atomtastic Wrote: End of day five for Dracula? Wow

Baffling, I know.
I was torn, but I wanted to have a template-setting gangster film over horror.
It was trying to stay away from horror but I couldn’t let it go undrafted.

The movie doesn’t really live up to Lugosi’s performance, it’s still a bit stage bound and plodding, but you have to give it up for the iconography and impact.
Ha, I was going to draft Dracula as a bonus for my Bela theme.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be....
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
DRACULA is an icon. Yeah once it gets to England it's essentially a filmed play but it certainly deserves to go.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
Mummy had more of an effect on me as a kid, but Dracula lasting to the end is just astonishing.
Just this guy, you know?
Sorry I've been late all week.

I didn't so much go for a theme as an overview this week. Hollywood Hotel is the Busby Berkeley musical nobody talks about, even though it's the source for the most famous Hollywood song of them all. Berkeley skips the giant chorus-girl formations this time around, but his camera remains incredibly nimble. The mistaken-identity plot benefits from casting actual lookalikes-- Lola and Rosemary Lane are both similar and different enough to keep the deceptions plausible. And then there's Benny Goodman and his orchestra, absolutely tearing it up with a double whammy of Sing, Sing, Sing and I Got a Heartful of Music.

I don't suppose anyone would be up for another five picks?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
There's another Berkeley joint I'm surprised didn't get picked.
Just this guy, you know?
Glad to see FOOTLIGHT PARADE made it. Cagney and Blondell are underappreciated as a team.

(06-11-2021, 03:00 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I don't suppose anyone would be up for another five picks?

I could run another week if people are interested.
Babes in Toyland/March of the Wooden Soldiers was my backup for Oz. Another holiday TV staple. And a weird live action Mickey Mouse cameo.
Just this guy, you know?
(06-11-2021, 04:23 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Babes in Toyland/March of the Wooden Soldiers was my backup for Oz.  Another holiday TV staple.  And a weird live action Mickey Mouse cameo.

Laurel and Hardy are the comedy duo of the 30s. I came close to pulling the trigger on one of their features and their most famous short.
Only two films on my list that weren't picked.
Just this guy, you know?
I should also add that the Fredric March Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a revelation when I sat down and watched the pre-Code version one Halloween season not too long ago. Right up there with Frankenstein and more perverse in ways.

BTW, I thought more Hitchcock would be picked.
Having a hard time finding any gifs for The Bat Whispers that show off what's so cool about the movie...which is all the cool shots and fx it's doing. There's a moment in the movie where there's a shadow trick like in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

My 5th pick was between 3 ON A MATCH and HOLIDAY. My decision was made for me! 

HOLIDAY is fantastic. Of those Hepburn/Grant romps, I think I like it more than PHILADELPHIA STORY.

simbob, that clip was enough to sell me. I see the full movie is on Youtube. It's apparently one of the earlier movies shot in widescreen too.

I hate that I've missed the conversation due to my wacky schedule, but this was a great draft. A great mix of familiar favorites and movies I need to check out.
I watched some of the 65mm version and I like the framing more on the 35mm. It looks like the frames were composed with the 35mm version in mind. There's some poppy looking images in the movie that get fucked up by the 65mm cropping the image. Like in the beginning there's a character that robs a bank, and you've got this really cool shot looking down into the bank with this really big white "BANK" font on the building; It's very pop looking, it's really comic booky, in the 35mm version it looks perfect, but the 65mm widescreen version cropped off half of the big bold "BANK" sign and it looks worse for it.

It's not the greatest of movies. But it's got some pretty fantastic stuff in it, and that fantastic stuff is really fantastic. It's pretty funny a times (it's a comedy, a horror mystery comedy I guess, but more comedy) and Chester Morris as the lead detective is great...although he also gets hit on the head and taken out of a large chunk of the movie, to the detriment of the movie.

The very end of the movie is also pretty funny.
Inspired by the draft, I did a rewatch (after many, many years) of both DUCK SOUP and A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. Both were great but I much preferred A NIGHT AT THE OPERA as it felt like a more focused story. Reading up on both movies, it turns out that that focus was deliberate in order to give the movie more structure and to make the Marx Bros more sympathetic vs being purely anarchistic. It think it was a smart move. You're not going to go wrong on either of them, though.
(06-11-2021, 11:15 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Inspired by the draft, I did a rewatch (after many, many years) of both DUCK SOUP and A NIGHT AT THE OPERA.  Both were great but I much preferred A NIGHT AT THE OPERA as it felt like a more focused story.  Reading up on both movies, it turns out that that focus was deliberate in order to give the movie more structure and to make the Marx Bros more sympathetic vs being purely anarchistic.  It think it was a smart move.  You're not going to go wrong on either of them, though.

That definitely makes sense, although I love DUCK SOUP because of the anarchy.

Looking at my list, it had more of a pre-Code focus than I expected. I highly recommend 3 ON A MATCH if you haven't seen it. Bogart and Bette Davis are in small early roles, but Ann Dvorak steals it as a woman who doesn't want to be a mother, so she abandons her kid for drugs. It's shockingly modern in that great pre-Code way.
Agreed about the anarchy being part of what makes it my favorite Marx Brothers movie. Plus the Mirror Scene might be the greatest couple minutes of comedy ever devised. It still translates. I recently showed it to an 8 year old who, other than classic Disney, has never watched anything made before 1980, and she was cracking up, and wanted to imitate it immediately.
I was waiting for some smart aleck to choose TRIUMPH OF THE WILL as a bonus.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
I was relieved it didn't come to that.
That film is both evil and boring.