Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leigh Janiak's FEAR STREET Trilogy (2021)
Creating this thread as a catch-all place to talk about these three (3!) movies coming out on Netflix over three consecutive weeks starting on July 2nd.  My interest is multi-fold:

1.  Leigh Janiak's HONEYMOON is a very good, quite unsettling horror film, and I'm excited to see her working on a larger canvas and with different genre tropes.
2.  R.L. Stine's FEAR STREET books, though not as important to me as his GOOSEBUMPS series, definitely have some nostalgia value for me.
3.  These are R-rated movies (and, judging by the ratings information, hard R).
4.  The structure of the trilogy seems fun and intriguing -- each one takes place in a different period (1994, 1978, 1666), and we move progressively back in time.
5.  The "one movie a week for three weeks" release is a neat gimmick.
6.  This project originated at Fox (pre-Disney sale), so these should feel like "real" movies, and not some quick Netflix junk.

More information (including a good quote from Janiak about her inspirations, and a trailer) here: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3671...994-video/

[Image: fear-street-xlg.jpg]
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
yeah, looking forward to this.
the empire never ended
Reviews for this are mostly solid so far.
Yeah, this sounds fun. And it's a cool idea to do the back-to-back-to-back releases, glad it sounds like it may not just be a gimmick.
My bad. Didn't see this. But now spoilers galore.

Fucking Kate's death was brutal. She did not deserve to go out like that. Though I do wonder why they didn't have the blood on a piece of clothing they could ditch if the stalkers got too close. Simon putting the blood on his chest-he deserved to die for that.

Considering this goes back to 1866 I'm betting there is some time travel hijinks and those who died will come back once they beat the witch and that preacher in their time. Need more Kate.

Leigh Janiak the writer/director is real good. Her first feature Honeymoon with rose Leslie is sold. And she's married to one of the Duffers. I wish she could have wrote some of Stranger Things to make that show bearable. Or at least direct some episodes. What is he thinking keeping her talent on the sidelines?
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
I enjoyed PART 1, and found it an effectively-mounted tribute to the hyper-slick slashers that emerged in the post-SCREAM era of the 1990s.

Janiak gets to show off a whole other set of tools compared to HONEYMOON, and it’s exciting to see her work in a more mainstream mode without feeling like she’s sold out. Refreshingly, the movie doesn’t lean on too much self-awareness as a crutch; there is some, of course, but it’s much more straight-faced than it easily could have been, and it’s fun to watch it utilize the conventions of the subgenre (a subgenre that has mostly died out at this point) without sort of implicitly laughing at them.

What’s also surprising -- in a nice way -- is how this film (and its subsequent parts, presumably) have taken R.L. Stine’s source material and aged it up for an older crowd; this is a proper, R-rated slasher film that isn’t afraid to play rough, and it delivers those goods with gusto. Like, for real, I was stunned they went there with THAT kill.

My only significant critiques are:
- I really didn’t like any of the characters save for one, and some I actively disliked (and not in the intended way such a thing sometimes happens in slashers).  Even the (attempted) emotional core floundered a bit because of performances that couldn’t quite pull it off for me.
- It pushes the “Hey, remember ‘90s music?!” button a little too hard (especially early on).

Beyond that, bring on 1978.
Kate's death felt like something out of INTRUDER (1989).

As I said in the other thread, I loved this. Especially how the three supernatural killers hunted by the scent of blood like sharks.

The Godfather 2-esque sequel/prequel set-up for 1978 and 1666 has me really intrigued.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Yeah, it appears 1994 will be a framing device in both installments, with things resolving in 1994 at the end of PART III.
Saving this for October. Sounds promising.
Fun, mean movie, although the opening scene was clearly filmed at a mall that’s about two miles from my house which pulled me out of the story for a minute. Same place they filmed the mall fight scene in Cobra Kai. Looking forward to the next two parts.
Good interview with the director:

(07-03-2021, 04:38 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Good interview with the director:

Love her response to some of the pushback she was getting from her collaborators about THE kill:  "It's fucking cool, so we're gonna do it."

Damn right.
This had great energy. It has some obnoxious aspects but that's par for what it's seeking to emulate. It does a great job of building a familiar but interesting world out of some well-worn teen pulp. It's also a very knowing film but not in a wink-wink way, more in a way that you can tell the people making the movie know and love this stuff.

I agree that virtually all of the characters start off annoying as hell, to the point that that seems almost an intentional decision because as the film goes on they are steadily developed and grow on you and the film definitely casts them in a different light by the end.

The film doesn't pull many punches, if any. I really appreciate this idea of a "hard-edge" R.L. Stine remix that kind of bridges this gap between nostalgia and sort of the overblown emotions and stylings and kitsch and a more modern horror approach. It's a lot of fun, it has a lot of attitude, and basically Janiak has all the tools as a director to thrive in the genre. I am excited for the next one! A week from now!
the empire never ended
(07-03-2021, 07:05 PM)wasp Wrote: as the film goes on they are steadily developed and grow on you and the film definitely casts them in a different light by the end.

I agree with everything you wrote but this.  When we got to the point near the end and a couple of the core group had bit the dust, my reaction was:
[Image: 48a84db0e86f1a69233a55395c6e50f4.gif]

I was not as won-over by them as others might have been.  Do I have a cold heart?  It's possible!
Watching this again tonight. It's so much fun. I was cackling like a madman when the three killers were lured into the bathroom only to get blown up.

It reminded me of a scene with the witches in Hocus Pocus.
(07-03-2021, 04:38 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Good interview with the director:

She says she actually liked the new Craft......I don't know what to think about her now.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
She's just being polite and professional. You shouldn't badmouth a gig you didn't end up getting.
(07-03-2021, 11:04 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: She's just being polite and professional. You shouldn't badmouth a gig you didn't end up getting.

Sure it just....SO NOT TRUE.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I didn't see it, but I heard pretty terrible things.
Feeling a bit under the weather so I put this on tonight and loved the hell out of it.

I honestly thought this was going to be like another Scream knockoff but was pleasantly surprised with the supernatural twist. Can't wait for ´78!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
This was ok. It's really fucking hurt by almost every character being horrible. They're almost all unlikeable. And not in some interesting kind of way where the character is "unlikeable" but they're actually likeable. Like I think the movie wants use to want the two main girls to get back together, but the lead girl is a fucking cunt that broke up with her girlfriend because she moved within a normal driving distance from her, and then the lead girl tried to kill her ex because she's all pissed off she's with a guy now.

It is kind of funny that is this movie full of supernatural shenanigans the most unbelievable thing is that everyone wasn't supended after that candlelight vigil, let alone what happened on the bus. Also, a "That's what she said" joke in 1994? I mean, I'm not saying people didn't do that, but someone just kind of doing that in a compulsory manner is a very post-American The Office.

One of the kills was kind of shocking in so far as there isn't another kill in the movie even kind of like it. That one kill is like it was imported in from another movie. Them putting the blood on themselves instead of something they could throw away to stop the monsters from chasing them if need be was one of those types of things that just has you wondering: How stupid are these characters? Their school plan would have probably worked better in the grocery store since they would've had access to at least one (maybe two) giant freezer with one way out and a heavy door that can be locked.

The thing where they're in the school and try calling the survivor of an old attack really reminded me of something but I can't place it at all.

It did seem like they could have kept burning the bad guys. That was also one of the cooler parts of the movie, wish there was more stuff showing off the weird supernatural side of things like that blob moment.
(07-05-2021, 12:12 AM)simbob Wrote: Like I think the movie wants use to want the two main girls to get back together, but the lead girl is a fucking cunt that broke up with her girlfriend because she moved within a normal driving distance from her, and then the lead girl tried to kill her ex because she's all pissed off she's with a guy now.

I don’t mind the conception of the two girls’ relationship, in theory. I just don’t think it’s played well enough by either actress to sell it and earn our sympathy.

Or my sympathy, anyway!

(07-05-2021, 12:12 AM)simbob Wrote: One of the kills was kind of shocking in so far as there isn't another kill in the movie even kind of like it. That one kill is like it was imported in from another movie.

In interviews, Janiak has talked about this being a calculated decision to REALLY ramp up the extremity of the kills as a kind of warning to the audience that the sequels are going to be as -- if not more -- brutal in terms of the violence.
I don't think it's written well enough. Their whole adventure begins when the main girl goes to the hospital she put the other girl in to yell at her. "She needs to get her boyfriend on a leash" or something like that is what she says as she storms off to yell at the person she put in the hospital and almost killed. That moment was like, bitch, you're going to go bitch at someone that's laid up in the hospital because of something you did? That girl that got put in the hospital also has a nice little reminder throughout the whole movie that lead is a crazy bitch, as she's spitting up blood the whole night of the movie.

When they get back together the movie plays it like a moment of triumph, but that main character is a fucking peice of shit that's maybe worse than the girl's asshole boyfriend. I mean the boyfriend is an asshole, but he also didn't almost kill anyone because he was mad.

I do think there's maybe mean to be something going on with the witch pushing people further than they'd normally go, those nosebleeds, (which would explain the lead trying to kill her ex and the others in the vehicle some) but the movie didn't actually go into that either. It also wouldn't explain everything, just the attempted murder.

I did find it funny the bus driver was a complete nonentity during all that shit on the bus. In reality you'd have a bus driver and like one or two teachers/coaches on that bus and the would've been told to sit down and shut up.

I wish that ramping up had happened throughout this movie. Instead it's pretty plain Jane kills, then there's this one crazy one, then it's back to before. I get there's two other movies and all, but there's also this one movie too. Would have been cool to get more crazy stuff.

Could have been as simple as things like seeing the bad buys blow up instead of only the aftermath of it.
I thought this was really fun! Like an especially excessive special episode of a CW show. Needle drop after needle drop after needle drop - would love to see what kind of money they had to spend on the soundtrack alone. I too felt the characters were all kind of awful in the beginning (except the younger brother, he's the Good One) but by the end, they had all pretty much won me over. The sudden ramping up of violence in the climax really worked. My wife was pretty shaken up by Kate's death - not necessarily because of how graphic it was, but because the movie is very PG-13 up to that point. Great way to raise the stakes. I'm definitely down for more of these.
(07-05-2021, 01:29 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: (except the younger brother, he's the Good One)

Easily the best character and performance.
Saw this yesterday and i was surprised how much i enjoyed it.

Kate's end surprised me. Didn't think they would do that. I liked her more than most of the characters here.
Its been a long time since I've been floored by a death on screen and Kate's demise did that, gave me chills. Put me down for one of the people who actually liked her character except for the whole let this other girl die to save us stuff. I think they could've handle that way better than having her come across as a unsympathetic bitch in that moment cause she really isn't. Shes a head strong, self reliant girl that takes no shit and went out blazing.
Well I enjoyed that. I didn't dislike any of the characters and honestly for horror movie standards they are angels. Although the lack of nudity....tsk tsk slasher movie. And in the preview for next week I believe I saw 2 clothed sex scenes. Boo!

(07-05-2021, 09:30 PM)totalpackage Wrote: Its been a long time since I've been floored by a death on screen and Kate's demise did that, gave me chills. Put me down for one of the people who actually liked her character except for the whole let this other girl die to save us stuff. I think they could've handle that way better than having her come across as a unsympathetic bitch in that moment cause she really isn't. Shes a head strong, self reliant girl that takes no shit and went out blazing.
I don't think she was unsympathetic. She tried her best up until that point but at a certain point what is left? As soon as there was even a slightly crazy chance of saving her she opened the door.

Im pretty jazzed for part 2.
I wonder if they'll do some kind of time travel thing and undo all the murders at the end. Feels like it.
I just meant in that one particular brief moment, it seemed like the movie wanted her to be portrayed that way. I dont think they handled it well. We know that's not the solution and these types of movies always have the asshole or jerk say something like that. Up til the point, and after, she wasn't like that at all. She was tough but not cold-hearted.  I did like that it was Kate to pull her back in, at least i think it was

(07-05-2021, 10:16 PM)Felix Wrote: I wonder if they'll do some kind of time travel thing and undo all the murders at the end. Feels like it.

Funny cause immediately after Kate's death i wanted this to be the thing
Kate was an unrepentant drug dealer. And she suggested letting an innocent person be killed to save her own skin.

That tends to equal "dead person" in a horror movie, and I felt satisfied!

(07-05-2021, 10:16 PM)Felix Wrote: I wonder if they'll do some kind of time travel thing and undo all the murders at the end. Feels like it.

That would be a GIGANTIC cheat.

Possibly a deal-breaker for me if they went that way.
I hear you on the drug dealer stuff. I just like characters that have a little edge to them, good or bad. Shes no angel for sure
I liked her better than the 2 main leads at least.
(07-05-2021, 10:17 PM)totalpackage Wrote: I just meant in that one particular brief moment, it seemed like the movie wanted her to be portrayed that way. I dont think they handled it well. We know that's not the solution and these types of movies always have the asshole or jerk say something like that. Up til the point, and after, she wasn't like that at all. She was tough but not cold-hearted.  I did like that it was Kate to pull her back in, at least i think it was

I know and I hate that because this isn't exactly the same scenario as other horror films. This isn't sacrificing someone to save yourself because once they change their clothes they are in zero danger. The killers were walking past them like they didn't exist. At that point it's how many more times you want to throw yourself in front of a killer that can't be stopped? It's more like fighting death itself. So once that's certain then you have to start worrying about saving everyone else which Sarah understands. But as soon as there was the tiniest of chances Kate was back on board. I don't look at it as being cold hearted but trying to save as many of her friends as possible under the seemingly impossible circumstances.
(07-05-2021, 10:01 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Well I enjoyed that. I didn't dislike any of the characters and honestly for horror movie standards they are angels. Although the lack of nudity....tsk tsk slasher movie. And in the preview for next week I believe I saw 2 clothed sex scenes. Boo!

(07-05-2021, 09:30 PM)totalpackage Wrote: Its been a long time since I've been floored by a death on screen and Kate's demise did that, gave me chills. Put me down for one of the people who actually liked her character except for the whole let this other girl die to save us stuff. I think they could've handle that way better than having her come across as a unsympathetic bitch in that moment cause she really isn't. Shes a head strong, self reliant girl that takes no shit and went out blazing.
I don't think she was unsympathetic. She tried her best up until that point but at a certain point what is left? As soon as there was even a slightly crazy chance of saving her she opened the door.

Im pretty jazzed for part 2.

It's pretty unsympathetic, especially when you're in a situation where you aren't actually in danger of being killed. As we saw earlier the killers have no interest in any of the others, they walked right past them just a moment before, so a debate on offering up the only person they're after was just dumb. If they didn't want to be a part of it anyone they could have just left; seems as long as you're not directly in their way, or aren't marked with blood, you're completely safe.

This is also why it was dumb that they marked themselves with blood at the end as opposed to something they could hold and throw away if the killer got too close to them.