Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDNIGHT MASS (Flanagan)
https://youtu.be/89UV8vmWXlY

Sign me all the way up.

Excited for Flanagan working with Fimognari as his DP again (Fimognari couldn't do BLY MANOR because he was too busy directing TO ALL THE BOYS sequels). The cinematography looks so good here.

Also stoked for Hamish Linklater and Zach Gilford joining the Flanagan actors stable. Think those two are great fits for what Flanagan does.

This is a fun little teaser but what it can't begin to capture is Flanagan's character work. Which is so great and I can't wait to see him apply it to this little island community he's had on his brain for so long now.
the empire never ended
I approve of Zach Gilford. Last thing I saw him in was a memorable episode of Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories.
Just finished episode 4. Holy ****.

I can see a good chunk of people having trouble with the pace and how talky the show is. It can be a little uneven... however, the passion, creativity, and thought behind the show is immense, and carried off by some extremely well realized characters and their connections and interplay. In that way (and some others), it is very Stephen King.

The details and the execution of the show in terms of cinematography, production and sound design, music, etc... just so good. Easily top tier Flanagan so far.

Can't wait to see how this finishes.
the empire never ended
I like this but it is a chore to get through at times. I guessed where they were going with this and am a bit surprised none of the characters have stated the obvious yet as of midway point ep 6
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(09-25-2021, 04:27 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: I like this but it is a chore to get through at times. I guessed where they were going with this and am a bit surprised none of the characters have stated the obvious yet as of midway point ep 6

so pretty much like the last two Flanagin shows.  I think my problem with him is that his style works for features, not so much an entire series.

Though it sounds like this also has that one breakout episode that the previous series' had.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Hill House is one of the best series Netflix has ever had and so far so is Midnight Mass, so I'd say Flanagan's style works just fine for series.

In fact, he thrives in the time afforded to deepen the characters. One of the reasons the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep is so much better than the theatrical.
the empire never ended
Bly Manor was a snooze fest. MM had some good characters, Bev was a great evil bitch, and I didn't mind the first 2 episodes.

And the Doc came closest to saying the V word and I get why he didn't go there it just makes things a bit unrealistic. They also dropped the missing person angle fast. 3 people go missing on the same day and we get nothing with the sheriff looking into it. He goes to the church w/ everyone but at that point it's too late.

I don't know what I was expecting but monologue after monologue wasn't it.
I mean, like I said, all of that is pretty part & parcel for Flanagan and his Stephen King-ish tendencies.

It works for me because the dialogue and monologues are well written, well performed, and carry a lot of thematic and dramatic set-up and investment into things that are often paid off visually or in the action.

But, yeah, I know some people--especially those who really want Flanagan's stuff to really stick to the tight visceral form of conventional horror--are gonna take issue with it. This show is VERY talky--but by the current reactions that doesn't seem to be preventing it from really engaging, thrilling, and moving a lot of people, critics and genre fans alike.
the empire never ended
I liked this overall, although the allegory was a little much and there were a few monologues too many. Similar to Storm of the Century, although I'd rank that a little higher.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Yeah, as much as I liked it, I think the monologuing could have been reined in a bit. I will say that while this doesn't have quite the highs of Hill House and the overall pacing is wobbly, the closing stretch is pretty easily one of the better final acts in a Flanagan show or movie (and that's partly because that has been a bit of a weak spot for him, outside of maybe Oculus).

There are a lot of little plot things you have to give the benefit of the doubt. And Flanagan clearly got his island's population wrong since they seemed to be rotating extras through it, haha. And yet there is also a lot of great attention to detail in the storytelling here that makes me think this might be the Flanagan thing I rewatch the most.

Thematically, yeah, it lays it on thick. However I can appreciate the earnestness because there is enough intelligence and craft and solid performance sort of propping up the ambition. I have some conflicted feelings about it in this area but at the end of the day I think I appreciate the show for going for it, even it maybe some of it was overreaching. There are some visual confluences between religious imagery and what is actually happening in the show and then all the little implications and extrapolations that spin off of that that are pretty engaging for me, personally, as someone who is spiritual but also acknowledges, understands, even feels the different perspectives that--ultimately--this show seems to try to find a harmony between. And I think, at the end, it partly succeeds in doing that, though perhaps it muddles and/or mutes some of the conversations leading into that conclusion.

So yeah, far from perfect and in some ways a magnifier of some of Flanagan's flaws in part because sometimes those are inextricable from some of his great strengths that it is also magnifying. I'd still say it's one of the best Netflix series I've seen and I'd put it up there with Hill House and the Doctor Sleep Director's Cut as far as Flanagan is concerned.
the empire never ended
I really didn’t gel with mikes last tv show. I hope this one lands better for me.
Another major problem with this is that it wasn't scary. Didn't feel any dread, creepiness, or tension. We go straight from there are missing people to the slaughter at the mass with a few long monologues in between.
(09-26-2021, 11:31 AM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Another major problem with this is that it wasn't scary.  Didn't feel any dread, creepiness, or tension.  We go straight from there are missing people to the slaughter at the mass with a few long monologues in between.

That's pretty much my problem with both Hill House and Bly Manor--they're not scary, no tension..nothing

It's just a lot of dialogue, of people who have a lot of problems--and that's it.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Hmm, while it definitely doesn't emphasize scares, I thought there were a few.

Dread, though? I felt a ton of dread throughout the course of this show. But I guess maybe you wouldn't if you didn't care about the characters or something?

But yeah, plenty of dread in my book.
the empire never ended
Just finished Ep 5. The WTF look on Riley's face as he's listening to all this nonsense made me chuckle.

All in all i like this series. Good performances and i even dig the monologues (though there are too many).
I also really like this (4 eps in). Not reading too much because of that, but I’m loving the monologues. That’s what makes this interesting for me, much like Hill House.

Speaking of, it’s not touching Hill House, which was occasionally terrifying. But it’s a lot more fun than Bly Manor, which I also mostly liked.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Only just started the third episode, but this is playing out like a massive William Peter Blatty love fest. There's references abound, but I got a kick out of "little foot". Mick Flanagan sure loves Ninth Configuration!
Whoa just finished episode 6. Episode 5 fucking killed me. I love this. It is so Stephen King. Mike was supposed to do Revival at some point and that isn't happening now but it feels like it seeped into this. I guessed all of the twists quickly but I don't think they matter here. I don't know if this thing sticks the landing but so far it's perfect for me.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I kinda liked this. With Hill House, I started watching with the lights off but quickly had to turn them on with all the unease I felt. I got none of that with this show, pretty lite on the scares and dread. 

Im pretty sure vampires dont exist in this world, kind of like how zombies didn't exist before the events of The walking Dead. 

I did enjoy what the show was going for. A messenger of God believing a angel saved him and turning a blind eye to the evils within. Fun concept. 

But I did think the ending was messy, the way some characters turned, then turned again. I even thought the direction was kinda off and sloppy because everything leading up to that was great

The acting is pretty awesome across the board and the storytelling is top notch. Ill never watch it again but glad Im did
Finished it and I think it more or less stuck the landing. However it is kind of odd that in the end Greene settles on atheism when I would think the very existence of a vampire kind of proves the supernatural is real. I wish they dug more into what that means exactly.

Also I would also love to know more about the vampire. He seems to have human intelligence but also is a mindless animal when it comes to feeding?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Finished. Loved it. Gripping, fun stuff. Great performances all around, especially Hamish Linklater, doing career best work.

Caught a LOT of Stephen King in here. There’s some Under the Dome, Revival, The Mist, the addiction and recovery material from several of the books (especially Shining and Doctor Sleep) and of course, Salem’s Lot. It’s almost a remake of Salem’s Lot. And while part of me thinks ‘why didn’t he just actually remake Salem’s Lot?’, I’m glad he didn’t, because the religious angle, clearly King-inspired but wholly original, is a terrific engine to keep this running, something that defines every character and their arc, and gives the show so much identity.

There’s some nits to pick. Maybe a few too many theatrical monologues. I mean, I mostly loved them, especially the ones about death, but maybe didn’t need the Sheriff’s story about 9/11, or the little girl’s performance of forgiving Joe Collie. And I did miss the lights out terror that Hill House found in its best moments. But none of that detracted much for me, because I was so into everything else.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yeah, that Joe Collie monologue was a bit forced.

The Erin and Riley takes on what happens on when you die is really good though. My favorite in the series.
Also, Katie Siegel is pretty terrific. Usually, when an actress is known for only appearing in the projects her husband directs, that's just not a great actress, but with Siegel, I'm wondering why she's not in more stuff. And the simple answer might be that he husband is keeping her too busy. I think they just had a kid too. Regardless, she was my favorite part of Hill House, and she's equally great in this.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(09-29-2021, 01:03 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Also, Katie Siegel is pretty terrific. Usually, when an actress is known for only appearing in the projects her husband directs, that's just not a great actress, but with Siegel, I'm wondering why she's not in more stuff. And the simple answer might be that he husband is keeping her too busy. I think they just had a kid too. Regardless, she was my favorite part of Hill House, and she's equally great in this.

Also, she's almost 40, which in Hollywood terms, makes about 85. Plus she's not conventionally SUPER HOT*. Plus all of what you said.

I'm only two episodes in but really loving it. Flanagan is most definitely channeling King here and I mean that in the best way. Scares are few but dread is building. I'm more than OK with that.

*To be clear: I personally think she's flat out gorgeous. Luminous, even.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This is why I love Michael. He is a feminist but deep down.....a creep like the rest of us.
Between yesterday afternoon and this morning, I've made it through five episodes...

... I don't think I will be finishing.

I thought the first three episodes were kind of perfect, but four and five went WAY down hill in terms of sustaining my investment. Things seem to be getting rapidly less nuanced and more arch, while the roster of characters I care about has diminished by two-thirds!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(10-03-2021, 08:53 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Between yesterday afternoon and this morning, I've made it through five episodes...

... I don't think I will be finishing.

I thought the first three episodes were kind of perfect, but four and five went WAY down hill in terms of sustaining my investment. Things seem to be getting rapidly less nuanced and more arch, while the roster of characters I care about has diminished by two-thirds!

Don't be a bitch. You only have 2 more episodes and the finale really does kick ass.
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611be30ed35cf71f713de...y.gif&ct=g]

I said "Fuck off" out loud to my computer screen. There's no going back!

I still like Flanagan, though. No hard feelings.
You will regret crossing me....and Mike.
I'm one of the bigger DOCTOR SLEEP defenders! He'll live.
He is the most proud of this though!!!!
Finished up the third episode last night. Belloq has me fearful of the next two episodes!

I'm glad that, unlike Hill House, this story has gone unequivocally supernatural. Hill House was damn great, and I get why the reality of the ghosts were ambiguous, but I really prefer my horror to just be unapologetic in its use of the supernatural and fantastic.

That said, it seems REALLY clear that this is Flanagan's take on a Stephen King classic. I won't say which one, just in case, but the parallels seem to be unmistakable.

Even if the next two episodes are bad, I'm gonna finish this. Seven episodes isn't very long, and I'm already almost halfway through.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I've finished five myself. I'm still all in. I enjoyed both Hill House and Bly Manor, as two distinct supernatural tales. I like how Flanagan goes about his business. Midnight Mass is occasionally indulgent and theatrical in its staging and speeches...but that is a feature (not a bug) to me. I'm excited to watch the last two episodes tonight.
I'm not Avery.
I've liked the speeches/monologues thus far, but they're also hitting some sweet spots for me in terms of topics and perspectives.

I've skipped Bly Manor thus far due to what felt like overwhelmingly negative WOM but I might have to give it a shot after this.

Bly manor has enough to make a watch worth it. The problem everyone had with it was that it was 5 episodes of great in a 10 episode show that FELT like 15.