Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More degrading: Working 35 hours a week in fast food or 1 hour a week as a call girl?
I say 35 because good luck getting full time hours, that would entail health benefits.

I would say that working in fast food is more demeaning and more exploitative.
Fast food fucking sucks.

I'd be a whore.
Do you mean call girl, or hooker? Because I think there's an important difference.
Quote:

RathBandu:
Fast food fucking sucks.

Stop fucking fast food then. You'll burn your cock.
I mean a call girl. Streetwalkers don't earn in one hour what a fast food employee does in a week.
Quote:

Dan Whitehead:
Quote:

RathBandu:
Fast food fucking sucks.

Stop fucking fast food then. You'll burn your cock.

Another reason why this guy is a 5-star pro on these boards.
Wrong forum of course.

The health "benefits" of low-class whoring probably tip the scales to the fast food worker.
Since we're talking call girls that wiork for a professional service and such, I'd say the call girls get the better deal.
I would say the the capitalist exploitation of workers discussion belongs right in this forum.
You may have picked the wrong thread to call me a "pro", Micah.
Although I was never a call girl, I did work 35 hours a week in fast food for four years. I was actually a GOOD employee so I got all the hours I wanted. I wouldn't say it "fucking sucks" but it is definitely not the most rewarding experience in the world. I think you get exposed to how people really are in a fast food job. It's not the most pleasant thing to see.

But there are always some interesting moments to lighten the mood. Like when a girl goes through the drive-thru topless or some drunk guy passes out on the shitter with his pants down.
If we're talking purely financial and ancilliary benefits, plus general self esteem issues, then I'd say a mid-to-high class call girl definitely has a better deal.

But if we're talking which job I'd rather my hypothetical daughter had...
Dan, good addition to the thread. Would you rather your daughter turn one trick a week or slave in fast food?

Turning one trick for my daughter for sure.
Depends what age...In her teens, I'd rather the fast food. Once she becomes a wee bit older, if those were her only two choices, I'd say call girl.
I'm kinda surprised at the amount of disdain for fast food employment. Have any of you guys flipped the burgers? I thought the place I worked for had horrible management but I still thought it was better than most people make it out to be.
When I was teen I worked fast food. It seemed like the thing to do. The big negative is how brainless it is, I mean the most learned thing you do is subtract from 100 to make change (though that usually follows paterns, so again, not that difficult).

Most of my memories of that time revolve around the disgusting. The worst was when we found a garbage can in the parking lot. It had a lining on top, and when we cracked that lining, the smell was that of human feces. It was probably (though I couldn't be sure as it was too hard to get close) an entire garbage can filled with excrement. We lifted it into our dumpster, but had to call for a garbage removal becuase customers were complaining about the smell.

$500 bucks for a handjob sounds a lot less degrading.
I have done it. It is the lowest and worst work that can be done, utterly dehumanizing, poorly paid and bad for society as well as the individual.
Quote:

gravedigger41:
I'm kinda surprised at the amount of disdain for fast food employment. Have any of you guys flipped the burgers? I thought the place I worked for had horrible management but I still thought it was better than most people make it out to be.

Worked at Hardee's for a little over a year to save up to buy my first car. I was a cook during their "3 for $1" burger promotion. Not fun.

But the point - to which I kind of agree - is that both lines of work are depressing, soul-sucking affairs when you work at them long enough, but at least you're making more money and are more in control of your destiny being a call girl.
Quote:

Alvy Singer:
I have done it. It is the lowest and worst work that can be done, utterly dehumanizing, poorly paid and bad for society as well as the individual.

Different experiences, I guess. While I did think the first few months (okay, the first year) was dehumanizing, I was paid rather well and I think I came out a better person at the end.

Would I go back? Hell no, but the only thing I would have changed was taking the management position earlier.
Quote:

mikah912:

at least you're making more money and are more in control of your destiny being a call girl.

I would agree with that.
While working in fast food certainly sounds like no fun, how is it bad for society? Seems like most people who work there are teenagers who have no training to do much else, or immigrants who have no training to do much else. I'd say it's worse for the immigrants because they're trying to live off the crap money, as opposed to teens which are saving up for cars or playstations or whatever.

What is the average slary per hour in fast food? I think here it might be six or seven dollars to start, at least from the few places I've heard such details from. Bookstores offer the same pay.
Quote:

Alvy Singer:

While I haven't worked in fast food or at a slaughterhouse, from my understanding modern slaughterhouses seem to be a fair bit worse.
Quote:

piranhapictures:
While working in fast food certainly sounds like no fun, how is it bad for society? Seems like most people who work there are teenagers who have no training to do much else, or immigrants who have no training to do much else.

Serving food, per se, is fine. But it's the slavish corporate culture these fast food joints enforce and perpetuate that I think makes them evil.
Quote:

piranhapictures:
While working in fast food certainly sounds like no fun, how is it bad for society? Seems like most people who work there are teenagers who have no training to do much else, or immigrants who have no training to do much else. I'd say it's worse for the immigrants because they're trying to live off the crap money, as opposed to teens which are saving up for cars or playstations or whatever.

What is the average slary per hour in fast food? I think here it might be six or seven dollars to start, at least from the few places I've heard such details from. Bookstores offer the same pay.

I don't think the actual empolyment is what is bad for society, it's their treatment. Working fast food may not take a whole lot of skill, but it isn't nessisarily easy work. Jobs that rely on physical labor over mental acuity are often looked down upon. The people who actually make money off of the work that the employees do sit in leather chairs & ponder the next brilliant (read: asinine) ad campaign that will bring in more people for the restaraunt employees to serve so they (the executive) can get a $10,000 raise & the cook can get employee of the month & an extra .25 cents an hour.

Working in a hot kitchen with teens all day, or working in a corporate office all day. Neither job seems significantly tougher than the other to me, and yet one gets paid significantly less money.
I've never worked at one, so I don't know...how do they enforce slavish corporate culture? Do you mean low pay? Lots of places offer that. They want you to be devoted to the job? I guess every place wants that.

Not that I'm looking out to defend fast food, because we all know it's a shit job. But for someone who has no training and no skills, if they get in and do a good job, they can work their way up. At least supposedly. I don't know how restrictive they are for promoting people. But for most jobs, you have to start at the absolutely crappy bottom and work up to something decent, unless you have highly marketable skills.

How much do you think a burger flipper should be paid an hour? Ten bucks? Fifteen? I wouldn't have a problem with that myself, but for that price I think you might actually take jobs away from teenagers or people who can't speak English well or have no skills, because for that pay, more qualified people would apply.
Fast food employees are ill treated, not allowed to unionize, paid poorly, denied health care often, looked down upon by society, and looked at as expendable, meaning most of them never get any training that they can use elsewhere.

Fast food itself is non-nutritional, fattening, often environmentally detrimental, not to mention the general evils of their advertising, employee relations, etc etc etc.
I agree. This is just one shit job, out of what could be a hundred different jobs. As I aluded to before, the main problem I see is that jobs based on physical labor are seen as lower-class & therefore should be paid that way. I know that's the way capitalism works, but that doesn't mean it's right.
Do yourself a favor and read a book called Fast Food Nation.
Quote:

piranhapictures:
I've never worked at one, so I don't know...how do they enforce slavish corporate culture? Do you mean low pay? Lots of places offer that. They want you to be devoted to the job? I guess every place wants that.

It's more the almost militaristic way they crush people's identities, belittle them and rank them with insane "star systems". Fast food workers don't have a career, they're human battery chickens.
Quote:

Alvy Singer:
Do yourself a favor and read a book called Fast Food Nation.

I've seen this on the shelf but never picked it up. I'm guessing you would recommend?
Strongly.
Well, I've never been a call-girl, but I have been a stripper.

I have also worked as a night-manager at a Whataburger.

I'd rather shake my tits for money.
Quote:

kittyinjammies:
Well, I've never been a call-girl, but I have been a stripper.

I have also worked as a night-manager at a Whataburger.

I'd rather shake my tits for money.

Or maybe, just maybe, you could combine the two and call it "Tittyburger". Burgers, fries, shake and a lap dance: $29.95.
I will check out that book. Although the problems listed here are much more widespread than fast food. I'm helping a friend organize a union because the place he works for really is cartoony in how awful they are. But really, it's just the owner. Just a terrible human being.

Guttenberg: you're right that jobs based on physical labor usually pay less. Although I think you have your reasoning backward. They don't pay less because the jobs are seen as lower class jobs. The lower class go to these jobs because they don't have the skills or training to do other jobs.

The guy who's job is to move rocks from A to B will be paid less than than the electician, because to move the rocks all you need to be is able to move them. You need skills to be an electrician.

I worked a little construction back in the day, and my exciting job was to dig holes. And stand around a lot. But mostly to dig holes. I made about a fourth of the other guys who knew what they were doing, and the other diggers were similarly unskilled. That's what you do when you don't have a lot to offer.
If it came down to ME actually having to work 35 hours in a fast food joint or smoke a sausage, I'd say I'm ready to start counting backward from 35.