Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various and sundry Blu-ray/DVD bargains thread
AI just blind bought Millenium Seasons I & II on Amazon for about $20.

My Walmart has an endcap with about 40 WB two-disc SEs for only $3.96. One of them is Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, which is not currently available on blu, and is kind of a masterpiece. I also picked up Batman and Robin. I have no desire to own this on blu, but there's a disc of special features I hope explains why this movie exists.

Amazon has the complete series set of THE WIRE on sale for $79.99.

I was going to create a new thread in honor of Black Friday and great deals going forward, but I'll start here.  Anyone braving the stores?  I'm not going out out on Thanksgiving, but I will get up earlier on Friday and see what I can find.  I've started up a checklist of the things I've found through leaked flyers, so hopefully some of them will be left.  One of note that I saw was Cloud Atlas at Best Buy for $4 on blu-ray.  I bought that on day one, but that's a helluva deal for anyone that's been putting it off.  It also seems that Walmart and Target both have Pacific Rim for like 7 or 8 bucks on blu-ray.  Might have to get that one.

Anyone else have an eye on things?  This year will be a little different because amazon has been tight-lipped about their sales.  Plus with the new $35 bump for free shipping I might be skipping them until they have a bunch of deals.

AI might go to Wal-Mart a little bit later in the day on Friday, but the bulk of my Thanksgiving/Black Friday shopping will done with Amazon. I have Prime so shipping is not an issue. I'm sure Amazon will match the prices of most of the best deals.

I stopped going to the doorbuster Black Friday events when I literally got smashed and pinned up against one of the frozen foods endcaps at Wal-Mart two years ago. It was horrific. I don't need to deal with that insanity to pick up The Princess Bride and Bull Durham blu-rays for $5.00.

I went to exactly one Black Friday event at HH Gregg and that was 10 years ago.  Never again.

For those who are looking for a pre-Black Friday deal, it seems that Kroger stores are selling a handful of Paramount semi-new blu releases for $6.99 each.  I saw Flight, GI Joe 2, Star Trek: Into Darkness and World War Z at my store.

I just saw WBshop was having a sale on HBO Blurays, but they've also got season sets of The Wire for $13.19 a season.  The box set for the whole series is $156 there. I'm not sure how much it typically goes for (they're about $17.50/season at Amazon), but as a Wire virgin, I'm very tempted to pick them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post

I just saw WBshop was having a sale on HBO Blurays, but they've also got season sets of The Wire for $13.19 a season.  The box set for the whole series is $156 there. I'm not sure how much it typically goes for (they're about $17.50/season at Amazon), but as a Wire virgin, I'm very tempted to pick them up.

Hope you didn't buy this just yet, as DeepDiscount is selling the complete series of The Wire for $22 (!!!!!)

http://www.deepdiscount.com/product/wire...3929023196

Soooo is the Wire ever coming to Blu or should I just go ahead and jump all over that set, because, I mean goddamn that's a deal.

Nevermind, the very moment I hit add to cart the item went unavailable. Damn you, indecisiveness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Hope you didn't buy this just yet, as DeepDiscount is selling the complete series of The Wire for $22 (!!!!!)

http://www.deepdiscount.com/product/wire...3929023196

Currently listed as unavailable, but its $105 at Deep Discount here: http://www.deepdiscount.com/dvd/WIRE-COMPLETE-SERIES

Glitch? Temporary sale?  Did anyone manage to snag it for $22?

Crap, Alan Sepinwall linked to that on Twitter not 30 minutes ago. It must have been a site glitch.

I checked SlickDeals and in the comments several people seemed to have been able to pick it up and received order confirmations. Bummer.

I haven't bought from Deep Discount since picking up a couple of Farscape season sets during their 50% off sale years ago.  ~$75 a season was such a great deal back then.

Update: It looks like WBShop is offering all 5 seasons of The Wire for $56. Still pretty great.

$59.70 with tax.

Now to try and forget the few spoilers I've heard over the years.

Hate to be a shill, but if you guys want good deals on movies / tv shows, check out the entertainment section in Costco, they really do have some amazing deals sometimes.  I bought all the new Bonds on Blu-Ray for 25$.  Also found a three pack of blu-ray Kubrick movies for like 20$, 2001, Shining, and Clockwork.  Every store is different with what they have in stock for the holidays but if you're ever in the store, at least give it a look, you never know what you might find.

Looks like at 4:19PM Pacific, "Cloud Atlas" will be on sale for 2 hours.

ALord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu is on sale for 50$ at Best Buy.

Best Buy has the Rescue Me and The Shield complete series DVD sets on sale for $24.99 each.

Oh damn sad I missed that SHIELD deal.

Right now my stupid friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart has the "4 Film Favorites" Blus in a cardboard standee marked at $4.88. They rang up as 12-something, and I mentioned it and they honored the words of the standee. Picked up Lethal Weapon and Batman. Popped in LW1, and it's not the director's cut (yay!), although the print they used didn't look to be the greatest (boo!). The Batman discs are all the special editions (I hate to admit that I'm really looking forward to the behind the scenes on Batman and Robin). It may just be a local screw up, but worth a look if you frequent that place. I can now free up some shelf space.

I can't remember if it's heading to Criterion or not, but the "normal" Blu of The Grand Budapest Hotel is currently $5.99 on Amazon. It's currently out of stock (didn't stop me from ordering), but it's been a big seller so I figure it won't be long before they have more.

I'm tempted, but I'm pretty sure all of Anderson's movies end up on Criterion at some point. Damn tempting, though.

Best Buy has the Watchmen Director's Cut Blu-Ray in a Steelbox for only $6.99 this week. In addition, it's got a $8 MovieCash ticket for Batman v Superman on it. Not bad.

It looks like the Dunkirk Blu is $10 today on Amazon.

AWorth the blind buy for someone that is lukewarm on Nolan?

Also, my local best buy has the Shout! version of Misery for 12 bucks. They have great collector's edition sets.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wd40 View Post

Worth the blind buy for someone that is lukewarm on Nolan?

Also, my local best buy has the Shout! version of Misery for 12 bucks. They have great collector's edition sets.

For what it's worth, I like Nolan, although I wasn't crazy for Dark Knight Rises or Interstellar. I really, really liked Dunkirk.

I'm in exactly the same boat as Mangy.  I was very lukewarm on TDKR and INTERSTELLAR but was absolutely over the moon on DUNKIRK, seeing it twice theatrically.

Of note: INTERSTELLAR has improved by leaps and bounds in subsequent re-watches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I'm in exactly the same boat as Mangy.  I was very lukewarm on TDKR and INTERSTELLAR but was absolutely over the moon on DUNKIRK, seeing it twice theatrically.

Of note: INTERSTELLAR has improved by leaps and bounds in subsequent re-watches.

I think the great parts of Interstellar is some of the best stuff Nolan's ever done, but inevitably I get sucked out of the movie during the closing section with the Casey Affleck Cross-Cutting Cornfield Caper. However, I still own it on Blu because the good stuff is great.

I also saw Dunkirk theatrically twice.

INTERSTELLAR on 4K blu ray is amazing.  Like, WOW.

Criterion Flash sale: 50% off for 24 hours. No code needed.

At criterion.com.