Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whiskey!
In another thread, Guttenberg Fan Club wrote, "Double-malt scotch isn't the best, and ice can be added to it. It's the single malt stuff that is the best (which still isn't good enough to pay for, IMHO), and it's true flavor can be lost by adding ice."

Not a single malt fan, GFC? What's your whiskey of choice? I'm a Dalwhinnie guy, neat with just a drop of water to release the aroma.
I'm not fancy, I find Gentleman Jack to be a good sippin' whiskey. Straight up. Sometimes a chaser, sometimes not.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer

I'm not fancy, I find Gentleman Jack to be a good sippin' whiskey. Straight up. Sometimes a chaser, sometimes not.

Same here.
I've gone through many a Beer'n'Shot night flanked by Jameson.
Whiskey nights, historically, have not ended well for me.
I do admit to being a fan of Tullamore Dew (beats the poop out of Jameson), but for the most part, I think scotch/whisk(e)y is for the birds. I fully admit to not having the 'good stuff' however. But no matter how good they are, they can never be worth the insane cost. The $25 for Tully is about as high as I'm willing to pay for something that gets me drunk.
And here I was looking for common ground, GFC. I can't choke down Tullamore Dew, though I've tried (Oh, how I've tried!).

I don't think of whiskey as a beverage for getting drunk. One of the reasons why I favor scotch is that one or two tumblers of good scotch, sipped and enjoyed, can get me through a whole cocktail party.
See, not drinking it for a buzz makes even less sense to me, just because of the cost. I can't imagine something tasting so good that it's worth $150 a bottle.

As an addendum to this, however, I am more than willing to try such things on someone else's tab. I'm never above trying the really good scotch (again, it's not that I think it takes like shit, the money-enjoyment balance end up out of whack), a $60 steak, a great bottle of wine, or any other dining delicacy when it'll just get comped by the company accountant later. I certainly enjoy the finer things, I just can't usually get them.
And here I thought this was going to be an LSU thread. Damn.
ANothing like finding a 12 year old thread.

Bought my first bottle of Lavagulin 16. Very nice.
A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/256307/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

/thread

Balvenie Carribean Cask and Double Wood are my go-tos at the moment.

AMy whiskey stock right now.

Bourbon. Blanton's. Weller. Eagle Rare. Larceny

Scotch. Lavagulin 16. Laphroaig. Glenmorangie 18

Irish: Red Breast

Japan: Hibiki Harmony.
A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/82498/whiskey#post_4467995"]Balvenie Carribean Cask and Double Wood are my go-tos at the moment.  
[/quote]

I liked the Caribbean Cask the one time I had it. I may pick up a bottle next Friday.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NickP View Post

My whiskey stock right now.

Bourbon. Blanton's. Weller. Eagle Rare. Larceny

Scotch. Lavagulin 16. Laphroaig. Glenmorangie 18

Irish: Red Breast

Japan: Hibiki Harmony.

I approve of the Hikibi.

**The Yamazaki Sherry Cask is the finest whiskey I have ever had.

AI'm disappointed with the glenmorangie 18. It's very light. Not what I was expecting for an 18 year old. It's not bad, but not worth the 120 I spent on it

Enjoying a glass of blantons right now. Totally my go to bourbon. Right bit of spiciness. Getting harder and harder to find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post

I'm disappointed with the glenmorangie 18. It's very light. Not what I was expecting for an 18 year old. It's not bad, but not worth the 120 I spent on it

Enjoying a glass of blantons right now. Totally my go to bourbon. Right bit of spiciness. Getting harder and harder to find.

Gonna be brutally honest:  I have never been impressed at the price/quality ratio of ANY "Glen," and I've had a chance to sample a lot of them.  Not saying they're bad, they just by and large aren't worth the price points.

Japanese whiskeys and some of the smaller Scottish distilleries seem to produce more consistent values at their respective costs.

AYou more of a speyside guy?
I do enjoy Maccallan a lot... but right now I really like many malts from Islay.
AIf you like your Speyside single malts, get onto Cardhu - goes down very easy.
AHow's the cardu 18?
A[quote name="NickP" url="/community/t/82498/whiskey#post_4468027"]How's the cardu 18?[/quote]

Never tried the 18 - my Friday night special is the Cardhu 12.

If I feel like stepping it up I’ll plump for a bottle of Dalwhinnie.

The Dalmore is reserved for very special occasions.

Also, if you’re looking for a very easy dram, The Singleton from Dufftown is highly recommended.
At this time point, for nice whiskies, my choice is to rotate between these three:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Yamazaki
Hibiki Harmony

I don't know if my palate is getting more sensitive, or what, but the heavier "smoke"/peat Scottish whiskeys are just wearing on me these days.

I recently got a bottle of Blantons that has a nice, complex flavor to it.