Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shadow of the Colossus (fairly large image in here)
Haven't seen a thread about this yet, and I think it's important. There's a new PS2 game from the makers of ICO coming out this fall. Here's the official site:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Conten...US-97472/Site/

The basic premise is you're forced to seek out 16 different colossi on your horse, climb them, and destroy them. Pretty simple, but the Colossi themselves look fantastic.

Here's a decent size comparison:

The current Official Playstation Magazine (note, not Playstation Magazine) has a demo of one of the colossus battles. I've played it three times now and it's been great every time. Go check it out.
I've heard once you get past how pretty it looks, the game is pretty sparse and boring. Like there's nothing to do between the colossus fights and when you do get to the fights, they're pretty easy. Is that the case with the demo?

I never played ICO.
I have the demo that came on the latest OPM disc. It is pretty, for sure, but the controls are terrible. Huge beautiful environemnt- totally devoid of anything to do but look at. Some fairly typical climbing and jumping terrain that is unecessarily difficult to traverse due to a shitty camera and wierd controls. A huge, and I mean HUGE, giant to fight that, again, presents more of a challenge to your patience with the controller and camera than anything.

To be fair, I am sure the controls do have a learning curve and with practice could be used with more finesse- but the camera- which is key to successfully climbing and jumping across obstacles and up the giants- sucks ass. Also, though very cool to look at, the limited color palette makes discerning the subtle differences in texture quite difficult- i.e. what type of materials can be grabbed onto for climbing etc. The blooming light effect, again is very pretty, but further obscures the detail necessary to discern the correct climbing path.

Some of those issues may not be as bad on progressive scan monitors, but how many console gamers are playing on HD sets? Not many. If there was a PC version, it may be more worth the effort. If you are playing teh game on a regular NTSC interlaced TV, don;t expect the image to look anywhere near as clean and clear as that screenshot.

I was impressed with the looks, bored with the map contents, frustrated by the controls... they get points for trying, but I ain't buying...
I was frustrated with the camera and controls too. Keep in mind this demo was created for E3, and they've since (I've heard) improved the camera movements. I'm guessing the battle in the demo is one of the first colossi you face, and is easy enough so that you get the hang of the controls early on.

Yes I know I'm being apologetic, but I really want this game to be awesome. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on reviews.
The demo was great, I loved it. It's true that there's nothing to do when your not fighting collossuses, but it's also false because the beauty and exploration of it is actually an important gameplay feature.

It's like taking a virtual vacation inside a living painting, but also you fight giant creatures when you choose to.

I'm very excited for the game after playing the demo, it made me want to buy it, and the other reason I'm going to buy it is to support ORIGINAL games.

OPM already reviewed it in the latest issue with a 4.5 out of 5 discs.
Can't wait for this one. I fucking loved ICO.
Ships' this Tuesday and I just wanted to say...FUCK YOU to anyone doesn't pick it up on Wednesday.

And for my ex-girlfriend, who I'll never see again...I love you bunches!
9.7 on IGN
Grrr... this sounds like one of those games that makes me wish I owned a PS2...
does anybody know (Dan Whitehead for example) when this game is coming to Europe?
That IGN review speaks to everything about this game that I had hoped for, and even more. This will be the game I'll use to break in my new hi-def tv.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethos

does anybody know (Dan Whitehead for example) when this game is coming to Europe?

February or March 2006.

So glad I modded my PS2 a year and half ago.
By the way, here's a nice little video that shows off all the improvements made in the game engine since the release of the demo.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/654/654180p1.html

The game supports progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer

By the way, here's a nice little video that shows off all the improvements made in the game engine since the release of the demo.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/654/654180p1.html

The game supports progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen.

Yeah great. Where's the free version of this video?
There are both a free version (low-res) and a subscriber version (hi-res) on that page, thank you very much.
Wow. That was pretty impressive stuff.

I'm considering picking this one up soon, mostly because I'm afraid that if I wait it will be hard to find when I want to get it. Ico sort of disappeared for a while and was hard to find (then I think it became easier to find again). So who knows what the situation will be with this one.

Most games just look and feel like 'games'. This one has a different kind of feel to it.
EB here has sold out already (I got the last pre-order). That's not terribly surprising, since video game stores tend to only order enough to fill the pre-orders on release day, with one or two extras, for everything except the guaranteed large-volume titles. They'll get more later depending on how many sell chain-wide and how many requests they hear.

Still, according to the store manager, Shadow of the Colossus had quite a few pre-orders and they moved out unusually fast. Demand appears to be high. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy at one of the big box stores (Best Buy) in the next couple days... don't procrastinate.

I picked up my copy, as I said, over my lunch hour. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. All I can comment on is the manual, which shares design sensibilities with Ico and is a little piece of art itself. Everything in the manual COULD be covered in a four-page pamphlet- the story introduction is scant and the controls are straightforward. They accomplish it in 22 pages of minimal text carefully describing each in-game action punctuated by half-page full-color screenshots. It sets a mood.
I popped into an EB before I ate my lunch just to see what was going on. Unless they had more in the back of the store they were down to their last one or two copies of the game, and one of those went to someone on the line. There were a few other folks on line too, but who knows what they were going for. If I went back later I'm guessing they'd be all gone.

I'll probably try and pick one up somewhere tonight or tomorrow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer

There are both a free version (low-res) and a subscriber version (hi-res) on that page, thank you very much.

Well excuse me for not bothering to read the part that said "Insiders Click Here for Hi-Res Version!". Sheesh.
So...is this the gaming industry's first literary game? I thought Myst already held the title.
It's not literary at all. Through player involvement, it questions assumptions about heroes and heroic action, especially as they usually appear in games. That's something only a game can do, and it does the job well.
Spoiler:

Does anyone know how to beat the Bull like smaller boss (I think he's boss 11), he has four fires around him and the voice says "he fears the flame"?
Spoiler:

I hate getting stuck in games all the time. You know what game I never got stuck in? Resident Evil 4, now that's a well designed game.

Nothing against this game though, this game is fucking amazing, I've been playing it all day since about 3 pm est. Probably gonna try and sleep now.

All the reviews I've read for this game are right on. It has some of the most amazing moments you'll play this year. Great classic score, that changes with what your doing in game. Beautiful, beautiful game, one of the last great games on the PS2.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunt

February or March 2006.

So glad I modded my PS2 a year and half ago.

fucking hell, that's a long wait. and will put it up against The Twilight Princess. buggeration!
God dammit. I was going to put off buying this until the weekend, but I can't wait that long. I'll attempt to pick it up tonight (though if rumors are anything to go by, it'll probably be sold out).
Yes, curse you Jacob for that video link, I'm buckling tonight. Checking online, most of the Gamestops nearby seem to have them in stock, and I just checked J&R here during lunch and they had plenty. (Going to hock old games for it so I didn't buy it there.)
I traded in some stuff too, but they were all out where I went so I plunked it down towards the PS2 RE4 instead. Haven't played it yet so what the heck. I'll just pick up Shadow of the Colossus if I happen to see it anywhere in my aimless wanderings... At leas they have it at J&R... heh heh.
So I go to EB to pick it up, they only have two copies left and both of them were display boxes. Is it really necessary to put 4 huge stickers on the case the second they put it on the shelves? And do they have to be the super deluxe, impposible to get off in one piece with no glue residue, stickers if they must? That makes me unhappy.

Great game, trying to take it slow (which is really, really hard when the next thing to tackle is always going to be some incredible new boss), only played through the first two guys. It's really hard to describe, but the whole time I was playing I was thinking Nintendo should be paying close attention to what could really be the next step in the Zelda franchise.
I've only reached the third colossi, but I love this game.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milkyway

Spoiler:

Does anyone know how to beat the Bull like smaller boss (I think he's boss 11),
Spoiler:

Spoilers on the 11th colossus:

Get to one of the four altars with fire. On the side are handholds with which you can climb up to the fire. The first time, the bull will charge the pillar, dislodging you and a stick. Grab the stick, climb back up and set it alight. From there it's not too difficult to figure out.

End Spoilers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Fischer

Spoilers on the 11th colossus:

Get to one of the four altars with fire. On the side are handholds with which you can climb up to the fire. The first time, the bull will charge the pillar, dislodging you and a stick. Grab the stick, climb back up and set it alight. From there it's not too difficult to figure out.

End Spoilers.

Thanks, I already got it, the cutscene didn't run the first time, but this morning it did and I beat him easily.

Spoiler:

I'm on the final boss right now and I really need some help, after the second stabbing place I have no idea what to do or where to go? I stab his arm and he brings his other hand over and I jump to that hand and then I stab that hand (so i can get steady), but then I have nowhere to go, the two glowing braclets on his arm won't let me pass.

End Spoiler.
Wow!

Nevermind I just beat the game!

Man that shit was satisfying! Can't wait to play through it again!

The game seems so simplistic, yet is so addictive and makes you care so much about what your doing (especially at the end). 2nd best game of 2005, for me, right up there with Resident Evil 4 (best of 2005).

Spoiler:

I couldn't figure out the controls in time at the end when you change into the big ghost colossi, and tried to hold on for dear life at the end. I wonder if theres another ending, an evil ending? I'm gonna play through again on hard mode, I hear you get to use powerups.

Spoilers ended.

Truely one of the best experiences of my life!
I just finished fighting the fifth colossus. What an incredible experience. I don't think the sensation of flying... the dangerous mixture of speed and altitude... has ever been reproduced so faithfully in a video game.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sphinx

I just finished fighting the fifth colossus. What an incredible experience. I don't think the sensation of flying... the dangerous mixture of speed and altitude... has ever been reproduced so faithfully in a video game.

Yeah that one is my favorite out of all of them, just because of that first sensation. Though there are other great battles to come that I won't spoil. There are some very cool, very different fights ahead.

Spoiler:

I was wrong in my above post, you don't get powerups after beating the game. After you beat the game you can do time attacks, by pressing the "o" button infront of a colossus' statue in the great hall/temple (the one you start in), so I'm working on that now.

End Spoilers.
http://penny-arcade.com/view.php
That's funny... heh heh.
Damn, how quickly did you guys/gals finish this game?