Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
I didn't realize that my dude went to the pokey at the tender young age of 70.
(04-14-2021, 05:36 PM)history buff Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 10:40 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Madoff?

Roast in Hell!

He and Limbaugh can roasted over hot coals for eternity.

I can only hope Limbaugh gets to experience and reexperience what it's like to live as an oppressed minority/class of person for eternity. Including being brutalized by agents of the system. Again. And again. And again.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I just heard about Sciotti. Truly the face of ‘80s Italian horror. Who doesn’t think of one of his posters when those movies come to mind?
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
Helen McCrory, at just 52. Fantastic British actress, US audiences probably knew her best from either Peaky Blinders or Penny Dreadful. Her husband Damian Lewis broke the news on Twitter.
(04-16-2021, 12:21 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Helen McCrory, at just 52. Fantastic British actress, US audiences probably knew her best from either Peaky Blinders or Penny Dreadful. Her husband Damian Lewis broke the news on Twitter.

She's also wonderful as Cherie Blair in THE QUEEN and THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP. She also played Draco's mom in the HARRY POTTER movies. I never committed to Blinders or Dreadful, but I always enjoyed seeing her pop up in stuff. She and Lewis have two teenage sons, which also fucking sucks.
home taping is killing music
She totally rocked in Penny Dreadful. She was originally going to be Bellatrix in HP, but scheduling didn't work out. She got Narcissa instead.

What tremendously sad news.
I'm not Avery.
That's really sad for Damian Lewis and the kids. RIP.
Once again and always, fuck cancer.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Except in Limbaugh's case..

(04-18-2021, 06:38 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Except in Limbaugh's case..

That cancer should get a Presidential Medallion of Freedom for its long and valiant struggle with Rush Limbaugh.
Walter Mondale, 93.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/us/po...-dead.html
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1384326472337346560

Quote:“WELL, MY TIME HAS COME.” Here’s the email Walter Mondale sent 300+ staffers and associates over the weekend. He noted how he looked forward to seeing his late wife, Joan, and late daughter, Eleanor. “Never has a public servant had a better group of people working at their side!”

[Image: EzYdlq3WQAIw-mj?format=jpg&name=medium]
Jim Steinman, 73.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jim-...01885.html

He'd been in poor health for a while, but still, this is a huge bummer. Steinman was maybe one of five artists who had the most influence on my own creative life.
home taping is killing music
(04-20-2021, 02:02 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Jim Steinman, 73.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jim-...01885.html

He'd been in poor health for a while, but still, this is a huge bummer. Steinman was maybe one of five artists who had the most influence on my own creative life.

I had no idea Meat Loaf didn't compose his own songs.

It's always tough when someone you drew inspiration from passes away.  Sorry, man.

***Adios, Bernie Madoff.

Steinman and Meat Loaf are so intertwined as an artistic entity that for years I thought they were the same guy. Regardless, he had such an instantly recognizable style as a songwriter that there's been multiple times I've heard some other artist on the radio and instantly known it was a Steinman composition. Just this iconic blend of musical theater, metal bombast, and good old-fashioned rock-'n-roll. Hats off.
Yeah, he was probably my favorite songwriter. The king of the "Rock Opera". Completely earnest and over-the-top.

I remember hearing Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to me, Now" and immediately thinking, "Is she covering a Meatloaf song?!?"
Gamertag: Tweakee
(04-20-2021, 03:01 PM)farsight Wrote: I remember hearing Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to me, Now" and immediately thinking, "Is she covering a Meatloaf song?!?"

Meat Loaf WANTED it to be a Meat Loaf song, but Steinman at the time was like "how about no"

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
I haven't even looked, but I'm willing to bet this Steinman guy wrote "Get You Alone" (Heart) and "I Need a Hero" (Bonnie Tyler).

How'd I do?

(04-20-2021, 04:31 PM)Overlord Wrote: I haven't even looked, but I'm willing to bet this Steinman guy wrote "Get You Alone" (Heart) and "I Need a Hero" (Bonnie Tyler).

How'd I do?

'Alone' was a cover song from another band, can't remember who.  No name band, I remember that.
'What About Love' I remember was originally by the band Toronto.  Heart's cover of it was pretty straightforward.
(04-20-2021, 04:31 PM)Overlord Wrote: I haven't even looked, but I'm willing to bet this Steinman guy wrote "Get You Alone" (Heart) and "I Need a Hero" (Bonnie Tyler).

How'd I do?

"Alone" sounds like a Holly Night joint. "Holding Out for a Hero"....if it wasn't by Steinman, they should've paid him royalties because it is totally in his style. 

After looking - Nope, Judas is right, by some band (i-Ten) I've never heard of. "Holding Out for a Hero" is a Steinman co-write. The first hint with a Steinman song is usually the title - is it overlong and totally purple? If "Alone" were a Steinman song,  he would've fixated on the line "My Love for You is Still Unknown" and made that the title and chorus. And even THAT is more sensical than most Steinman titles.

(04-20-2021, 04:49 PM)chavez Wrote:

How'd I do?

"Alone" sounds like a Holly Night joint. "Holding Out for a Hero"....if it wasn't by Steinman, they should've paid him royalties because it is totally in his style. 

After looking - Nope, Judas is right, by some band (i-Ten) I've never heard of. "Holding Out for a Hero" is a Steinman co-write. The first hint with a Steinman song is usually the title - is it overlong and totally purple? If "Alone" were a Steinman song,  he would've fixated on the line "My Love for You is Still Unknown" and made that the title and chorus. And even THAT is more sensical than most Steinman titles.

One out of two ain't bad!

(04-20-2021, 04:53 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 04:49 PM)chavez Wrote:

How'd I do?

One out of two ain't bad!

That could be a great song title.  Idea

Here it is.  Apparently it's Steve Lukather on lead.

and for the heck of it, here's Toronto with 'What About Love'.  I knew about this one because I had a Canadian friend who was always pushing these guys on us.

Steinman produced two of my all-time favorite songs, "This Corrosion" and "More" from the Sisters of Mercy.  

I believe Meat Loaf covered "More" recently.
I think Heart was desperate for material in that time period.  They covered a few other artists too, including Dalbello.  This song made it on their Bad Animals album:

This was going to be part of BATMAN: THE MUSICAL, directed by Tim Burton!
Gamertag: Tweakee
Damn. I loved Steinman’s operatic rock ballads. Totally in his own class.

RIP to a total legend.
I'm not Avery.
RIP Monte Hellman.
(04-20-2021, 04:58 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Steinman produced two of my all-time favorite songs, "This Corrosion" and "More" from the Sisters of Mercy.  

I believe Meat Loaf covered "More" recently.

"This Corrosion" is a Steinman tune?

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Jim Steinman was an amazing songwriter. His songs had crazy dynamics that fit perfectly with the melodramatic themes. He even made soft rock bombastic with Air Supply's  Making Love Out of Nothing at All. Although I do prefer Bonnie Tyler's version. She gives the song a haunting vibe.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned his contribution to one of the quintessential 80’s flicks.

I was about to, Colonel. I have the soundtrack on LP and quite frankly, it's solid front-to-back with Steinman compositions as great book-ends.

Follow-up: My first exposure to Bonnie Tyler was 'It's a Heartache". As a single, the song is great but the album is definitely a mixed bag - it's almost like her producers didn't know what to do with her talent or voice. Linked with Steinman, Tyler found the perfect chemistry to match her husky yet wide-ranging vocals. I'm listening to that posted video of Nowhere Fast is bringing chills. I'm just going to have to put the LP on and crank it up!

Oh, what the hell... anyone have a copy of "Bad for Good"; which was rumoured to be the follow-up for Bat Out of Hell, except Steinman and Meat Loaf had a falling out. Steinman did the vocals... and you could sure as shit hear he didn't have the range of Meat Loaf, or Tyler. If you were a teenager at the time, the cover was nice; a little side-boob.
(04-20-2021, 04:59 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I think Heart was desperate for material in that time period.  

I dunno, you get material where you can find it. Considering "Alone" and "What About Love" were monster hits, I think Heart should probably get a high-five for mining successful singles from unlikely places. 

An artist writing their own songs is great, but it's just fine to interpret others work.

I just heard about Monte Hellman. RIP. One of my all-time heroes. I'll probably be watching TWO-LANE BLACKTOP on a loop all weekend.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Anyone up for celebrating Steinman's masterpiece, the Bat Out of Hell episode of Classic Albums is on Tubi
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!