Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daredevil discussion
I like Spidey more, but my love for that film has greatly subsided.
Pretty good review, one I have come to expect from CHUD.

I am a bit disheartened by the 6.9, and I hope that I like the film more, bc I love DD and am still hoping for the best.

I went in expecting the best from Spidey, and got it for the most part. I'm going in expecting the worst for DD, and hopefully I will be very suprised.
Great review Nick. Looks like if I can get past the music I'll enjoy the movie, though it sounds more cringe-worthy than the Macy Gray scene in Spiderman.

My expectations have been lowered over the last couple days, as they shall remain. I'll see it on Saturday.
Quote:

Nick in his 'Daredevil' review:
In fact, I might be mistaken but they even play a song during a young Matt Murdock workout. Does that mean that by some rip in the time/space continuum crappy 2003 alternashit music found its way into the 70's? Does it mean that our hero's memories play back with a soundtrack determined by Carson Daly? No kidding, if every song was pulled from the film it'd be a lot closer to 8 than 7 in this review. Absolutely unnecessary and atrocious music.

Just great, great writing.

Nick gave the movie a 6.9. Incidentally, over at AICN, they are 69'n said film.
Good and very fair and impartial review Nick. I totally agree on the DD vision aspect of your review. Loved it and thought it worked well to immerse the audience into DD's world. Good one...
Good review there, Nick.

Harry went apeshit on how WONDERFUL the film is over at his site.
Ah AICN. I respect the shit out of Mori, but Harry Knowles's opinions on film mean about as much to me as Harry Carry's.
I respect Moriarty's movie reviews too, alot more than many of the mainstream critics out there.
I lost respect for Harry when he told me on the phone that End Of Days was better than True Lies. Then a month later changed his mind online.
Wow. In only a month, he changed his mind about the comparative worth of two Arnie films? Dude's fucking crazy.
I think it says something about this film that I was more jazzed after the two minute X2 trailer than I was after the two hour running time of Daredevil.

SPOILERS

Not that it's a terrible movie by any stretch. I think the first hour, especially the origin and Matt's first meeting with Elektra, is absolutely top-notch. But, like Nick said, there's too many threads moving at once to build any momentum in any one of them, so that the payoffs don't really have any impact. There's no real sense of triumph when Daredevil defeats Bullseye (especially since it's not really Daredevil's doing that he wins) or Kingpin because both their stories are jockeying for attention between the Elektra romance and the Urich investigation. There are also some clumsy edits that make me think there will be a wealth of material for a special edition DVD, and the little scene halfway through the credits absolutely should have been right at the end of the film, as your average moviegoer is going to bolt the minute names appear on the screen and miss this sequel set-up.

I did love how Murdoch has to sleep in a sensory deprivation tank just to get some rest, and how loud sounds affect him. Nice touches that don't necessarily come straight from the comic but certainly stem from its mindset.

I think Nick's 6.9 is spot-on.
Quote:

Saucy Jack:
Wow. In only a month, he changed his mind about the comparative worth of two Arnie films? Dude's fucking crazy.

No, he went on and on about how End of Days was a classic that was on par with his great films (T2, Conan etc.). Then a few months later once he saw it without his friend Peter Hyams sitting next to him he decided that it was as good as Commando. Then eventually he decided it was utter shit.
I have to say I'm mixed - some things were better, some things were VERY disappointing.

First off, the comics-guy nitpicks: Garner was ALL WRONG for Elektra; far too much of an All-American girl; same with Pantoliano as Ben Urich, much too hip and flashy. And as for the fight scenes, I found it highly distracting that these non-superhumans seemed to be able to virtually fly and jump hundreds of feet at a time, to say nothing of DD's already-mentioned miraculous recovery from his wound; never mind not being able to move his arm, he should have fucking bled to death by the end of the film. Did Marvel give him a healing factor?

Now the film on its own merits:

I was impressed by the opening credits; it was no Panic Room, but it WAS clever and unique. Small thing, but I usually take it to mean that it shows care and attention to detail. Apparently, that's WRONG, but anyway....

I have to agree with Nick's choices above Affleck to play DD, but he acquits himself fairly well. One thing that THOROUGHLY bugged me through the whole film though was Matt's "showiness" with his enhanced senses - he all but walks around with his mask sticking out of his back pocket. Garner may not be the comic book Elektra, but for Joe Sixpack, I think she works well enough; not the most convincing actress, but as said before, makes up for it in the action sequences. Favreau is excellent as Foggy, and Micheal Clarke Duncan plays the Kingpin with a little more flair than I expected, but it's hardly a detriment.

But I thought the real scene-stealer was Colin Farrell - fun scenery chewing along the lines of Anthony Hopkins in Bram Stoker's Dracula. It always warms me to a film when I see an actor clearly having fun with the role.

The plot, however, is where the film falls apart. I thought the origin was well done - I completely bought in to young Matt (who distractingly looks more like "young Bullseye"Wink and David Keith; but the fight scene with the bullies is just ludicrous, much like initial Matt/Elektra meeting (call it a "mask in the back pocket" scene).

The Matt/Elektra romance also felt HIGHLY arbitrary; more time should have been used to develop it, because as it stands, they a)meet and have a short fight; b)go on a "date" and sleep together; c)have a brief but romantic encounter at a ball (so far we're fine); d) on the basis of those 3 encounters they are "soulmates"? I KNOW the comic backstory and STILL didn't buy this in the film.

Also, it didn't bother me too much in the film, but I agree that the "radar sense" bit was overdone. The scene of Matt getting in after the bar fight is depressing in its brilliance - the scars, the pill-popping, the tooth in the drain are all understated and almost shocking, and a glimpse of what a less-burdened film might have been.

I'd probably rate it more in the low 6s than give it the 6.9 Nick did; the bad (or more aptly, the distracting) manages to outweigh the good.
Just got back from the film, and Nunz, your review was just about spot on. I didn't like the action scenes at all, (I was laughing about the hyped "bar fight"Wink but the Affleck and Garner team really shone through some pretty crappy dialogue to make this a really good comic book flick.

I do wish that they had to make due with a lower-budget, because the film needed more grit, more of a desperate, dirty feel to it. Instead we get CGI stuntmen and too much Bay-camerawork during the fight scenes.

I did enjoy the movie immensely, and hope that it makes enough cash for a continuation of the story.
Just got back from seeing it in an IMAX theatre... ears are still recovering. I'm not disappointed, but damned if this couldn't have been better. A couple snap judgments for your perusal:

The good:
Acting was spot-on. I'd have probably cast someone else as DD (probably Matt Damon), but Affleck does a nice job. Garner was okay... but Farrell, Duncan and Joey Pants all fit their parts to a T.

The bad:
It did feel rushed. Not that I had any desire to see Coolio, but that subplot would've fleshed out the story a little more, plus give the audience a chance to breathe, instead of hopping from origin to origin to battle. Here's hoping for that 2-disc director's cut in June.

What I heard of the score was nice, but overkill on the songs. It works as a CD, but there are moments that needed score instead of songs... House of Pain excepted.

Moments of cheese. Brought back horrid memories of the 90 minutes of Batman & Robin I seared my eyes with long ago, especially the 'putting on the leather costume' sequence. Dialogue, too. "You killed the only two people I loved!" Ergh.

Speaking as a major DD fan, the voiceover wasn't really necessary, as I thought it was too much of what Ridley Scott calls 'Irving The Explainer'. I'm interested in what others who aren't familar with the character think...

I agree with Nick. For now, 7 out of 10 sounds about right (seeing it again tomorrow night, that could change).

Lastly, the X2 trailer was incredible, especially in an IMAX setting.
Wow, nofate loves the movie. What a shocker.
I would love to enjoy it as much as he did. I at least admire him for not becoming a cynical bastard like me.
I really liked it. I really, really liked it.
This is a film I really hope people find lots to love. I really do. I want it to succeed. That said, I think a few folks have gone too far in their lust.
I'd like some explanations of how this film is "the comic come to life," when not a single one of the main characters acts like their comic counterparts.
From what I've been reading, it sounds like Johnson got to make the two hour Daredevil movie he wanted, and then Fox turned into the 90 minute Daredevil movie they wanted.

I'd be interested to see the directors cut, but it sounds like my theatrical experience will be pretty much what I was expecting from the trailers.
I enjoyed it a little more than Nick, but not tons more.

I went in familiar with the setup and some of the characters due mainly to my Marvel Universe Handbook reading youth, since I don't think I cracked open an issue of Daredevil more than once or twice.

So I had a relatively clean slate.

Some spoilers...

The bad:

As everyone except nofate has said, the music was awful. Truly terrible, and it pulled me out of the movie repeatedly. The nu-metal wasn't even the worst bit - the weepy Sarah Maclachlan ripoff played during Natchios' funeral sought out new lows.

The relationship felt rushed. With a little editing, Johnson could have suggested to us that Murdock and Elektra had established a bit of a relationship before the ball. Give us a montage or something, even.

The revelations and big moments were too rushed. In one fight sequence, it's established that Elektra is now a costumed, sai-wielding woman of vengeance; she badly wounds Daredevil, she finds out who he is, she finds out someone named Bullseye actually killed her father (and why would she believe him right off the bat, love of her life or not?), Bullseye kills her, Daredevil runs. Then, with barely any break or plot development at all, Daredevil finds refuge, only to be found moments later by Bullseye, and the fight continues.

All that stuff could have been addressed in a less compact, more satisfying manner.

The introductory fight between Murdock and Elektra was stupid. Way to not draw attention to yourself, secret identity guy!

The Good:
The origin story is probably the best I've seen in all of the comic adaptations so far, including Spider-Man. David Keith's performance is at least as memorable as that of any of the leads. Hell, I could have watched a whole movie about Murdock coming of age and becoming Daredevil. If the second half of this film worked as well as the first, I'd have left the theater ecstatic rather than somewhat pleased.

While the relationship didn't make much sense, logically, I thought there was a very nice chemistry between Affleck and Garner. I haven't seen Affleck have this chemistry with a female co-star since Chasing Amy.

The acting was uniformly great. Best ensemble cast in a comic book movie yet. Farrell did a great job re-interpreting Bullseye.

Overall, far, far better than I had expected.
It's sitting at exactly 50/50 fresh/rotten over at <a href="http://www.Rottentomatoes.com" target="_blank">www.Rottentomatoes.com</a> right now. When I checked last night, it was 44/66 fresh/rotten.

Maybe it will gather a bit more momentum today.

My vote definitely goes on the 'fresh' side.
I thought it was great. Just great. I've been anticipating it for years, and I was still surprised that it turned out so good.

Ben Affleck is the best he's ever been. Period. I loved that his Murdock was actually blind. His weariness. The pills, the scars, the depressed walk through his darkened apartment. The fantastic adition of the coffin. He's charming, and funny, yet always tormented. Great character, and he nailed it. Plus don't underestimate the skill it takes to act blind, which I thought he pulled off to a creepy degree.

Garner was fine. Michael Clarke Duncan was very very sweet. Cocky, forboding, and when he starts taking his suit off, just damn impressive.

Colin Farrell has been a favorite of mine since "Tigerland", and here he's just perfect. Funny, menacing, dangerous, and over-the-top in a good way. I liked all his lines, and the music of his intro is the only time I liked the musical choices for this film.

DD's senses were done perfectly. Lots of credit needs to be given here, the same with the intro and flashback structure. The fights were at times not that great, but DD looks great. I was surprised at how realistic the whole thing seemed. Despite the "flying", DD always seems like the real world. He moves like a real guy, the suit looks right.

I liked the plot a lot. It moved fast. Yeah they tried to cover a lot of things, and I for one thught they covered all of them pretty well. "I'm not the bad guy" is a great superhero line.

The music was bad. Nothing else to say. Graeme Revell is no John Williams, but he's got some skills. When they actually let him score it sounded good, and there were only two times when the music didn't make me cringe.

All in all though, I loved it. For all the bitching, it felt more like the comics than about any other superhero film and I thought they did a great job.
Stay...with...me.
this is the part where i skip out of work for two hours ("I have a meeting, ahem"Wink to go see it.
Quote:

nofate:
Quote:

mikah912:
I'd like some explanations of how this film is "the comic come to life," when not a single one of the main characters acts like their comic counterparts.

Which DD comics did you read? The Stan Lee ones? No disrespect to Stan the Man, but Miller owns Daredevil, and that was Miller's Daredevil on screen.

Miller's Daredevil willingly KILLED average criminals?

His Elektra just happened to be some rich chick who knew a bunch of martial arts and had sais and a leather halter top laying around?

His Kingpin was a routine thug boss showing little to no penchant for masterminding anything and who was bested by Daredevil in a single 4-minute fistfight?

His Daredevil claimed Elektra was one of the "two people he cared about" (on par with his FATHER) after having two dates with her?

His Daredevil shook off massive wounds at will and continued to jump and fight - unencumbered - despite losing pints and pints of blood?

My radar sense is telling me this could go the same way as the Lord Of The Rings debate...
Quote:

nofate
I fucking hate Fox...

Sure, you do.
nofate, you got to give them props because they greenlit your wet dream.
Quote:

nofate:
Can't wait for the DVD. For me, this was THE BEST COMIC MOVIE EVER, and once the full version is out, I bet it'll be in my top 5 movies ever period.

I sincerely hope that is true. Otherwise you are guilty of the same sin you have charged others with, having a preconceived opinion that manifests itself in your evaluation.
Quote:

nofate:
If you read the first appearance of Elektra, yes, she was just a rich chick who knew martial arts (she didn't train with the Hand until after her father's death). And in the comic, Matt did fall in love with her at first sight (err, meeting). And you'd be surprised what a man can do after he's lost the girl he loved. Plus, have you ever fought with water in your eyes? It's not easy, unless you've got DD's "radar". I also heard that several Kingpinish scenes were cut along with the Coolio subplot. I fucking hate Fox for sacrificing perfection to get more screenings per day.

I don't believe her meeting Matt, her falling in love with Matt, her father dying, her becoming Elektra, and her battling and losing to Bullseye all happened within a week, however.

And now that she had her encounter with Bullseye without ever having met The Kingpin, much less being in his employ, any Daredevil sequel movies will further screwup the comic's stories and continuity.

As for what I'd be surprised a man can do, I'd be surprised that man couldn't work himself up to actually SAVE the girl he loves in the first place, but then MINUTES later (and with a lot more blood lost) can muster the strength to fight Bullseye without missing a step or a superhuman leap.

He clings to the cross for dear life, drops roughly due to lack of strength, but then just "shrugs it off" when his archenemy arrives, beats him, and then with even MORE blood lost, fights and beats the Kingpin in momemts?

And what about the rather damning evidence (his billy club in Elektra's father's corpse) that he killed her father? Wouldn't the police be on his trail? Why would they want to arrest Fisk when he left a paper trail that indicts Natchios and Bullseye framed Daredevil for the murder?

The same Daredevil who murdered an acquited rapist earlier and left behind a flaming admission he'd done it? Wouldn't that make two notable and obvious murders that the police (and Ben Urich) would be after him for?

This is the kind of shit that infuriated me about the film. It made no sense whatsoever. None.
Saw it last night, and found it to be mostly dull. Never read the comic book, but besides the mostly laughable relationship stuff, this felt like the fourteenth origin tale (and 12th revolving around aveging dead family members) I've seen that has the exact same bases as every other origin tale. It was like Spider-Man: The generic version.

The physics were dumb, the look was moody but never more than that, characters never became much more than just pawns in the larger (uniteresting) story, the action was meh, and the only character I in any way liked was Bullseye, mostly because it was just so out there.

Again I have nothing invested in this character, so perhaps it helps to be a fan (though not form the stream of bile I heard from a close friend who is a fan)
Quote:

nofate:
Again, from what I've heard, the cut subplot would have fixed the Kinpin plot.

</strong>

Well, that means diddly for the thing called Daredevil in theaters right now, doesn't it?

Quote:

I'm sorry you don't buy love at first sight, I guess it's hard to imagine if you've never experience it.

</strong>

I buy it, but not in the circumstances of this film.

She makes it a point to tell Matt how she's being defensive and not open with her emotions when they first meet, but yet she screws him the second time she meets him, which is before they've ever been on a date?

Also, they put that stupid answering machine message in which shows that Matt has been in relationships before - presumable decent to good ones if they ever got to a point where a woman would be emotional enough to leave him that long a message, YET he says - after meeting and boning her in the space of days - that Elektra is one of the two people who's he ever loved.

None of the other women ever mattered? Foggy?

Quote:

And Elektra's fight with Bullsye was connected to her father's death, to it makes sense it would happen in the same weak.

</strong>

It makes sense that a girl would - for all she knows - determine that Daredevil killed her father, then simply change her mind and believe he didn't just because it's the guy she screwed (and dissed, at the funeral) a little while ago?

I don't think so.

Quote:

As for Daredevil, haven't you ever heard of someone getting a second wind? Sometimes when you take an injury, it's at it's worst right when it happens, depending on where you get hit. Plus, adrenaline isn't a constant thing, it's erratic. By the way, what's the name of the House of Pain song?

"Shamrocks and Shenanigans." Love that song.

But don't you think if any adrenaline was present, it would've surged while he was still able to save her life, and not after he ran off like a little punk to seek refuge?

And doesn't that sort of blood loss kind of invalidate "adrenaline" at a certain point? Like after THREE to-the-death battles?
just got back. liked it quite a bit. regardless of some sloppy fight scenes, the abrupt "movie romance", and the sad inclusion of Nü-metal.